Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build PC on a budget under £500.00 (solved)

Best Answer jaco1 , 24 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Great news. Apparently my SATA Data cables were in the toolbox lol. I recently just found them after beginning to attempt to switch cables from an old family desktop computer. Data cables and... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Okay, almost done. I am going to stop for now though as it's about 11pm here. I will get straight back on it again tomorrow after work which should be about 4/5 pm UK time and then finally have it up and running again, this time hopefully with the monitor working too.

Thanks for your time so far.

Advertisements

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Okay, I removed the add on card, checked connection and now the screen appears to be working. The following picture is what I see:

e6f4cc21a387b4839e3e23beee107fdd.png

This is without the graphics card. So I am guessing there was a problem with the add-on card connectors some where along the line. What I will probably do is install the OS first and see how it runs without the add-on card and then perhaps try again installing later.

At this point now however I do not know what to do. Should I just put an installation disk in and exit setup or is there something else I should do first?

Also here is some additional information about my build:

• One SATA cable connected to the HDD from the PSU.
  • One 24 pin ATA connected from the PSU to the MB.
  • One SATA connected from PSU to the Optical Drive.
  • One PERIF cable connected to fans from the PATA on the PSU.
  • All 4 leads connected to Panel 1 on the MB. USB and USB3 connected to MB.
  • One HD audio connected to MB

I do have som cables left over which I do not think I need. I also have to disks with my which are the Driver Utility disk that came with the MB and MSI disk that came with Video card.

That's all the information I have for you for now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I do not think there is a problem with the GPU, (video card)   You initial Boot attempt may not have worked because of a missing cable. 

You have not listed, or have not connected all the cables yet.

From the PSU, CPU1 socket, to the ATX 12V Power Connector (cable may be labelled EPS) refer MB Manual, page #6, item #2, (top of the board just left of the RAM slots).  Use one cable, I think there is two supplied.   image below.

Connect a Data SATA cable from SATA3 socket #0 (MB Manual page $6, item #9.) to the SATA port on the HDD.

Connect a Data SATA cable from SATA3 socket #4  (MB Manual page $6, item #13.) to the SATA port on the Optical Drive.

Refer Reply #28 for image. 

When you now Boot up, there should be a message on the screen saying something like, "no operating system detected"

Let us know. 

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Connect a Data SATA cable from SATA3 socket #0 (MB Manual page $6, item #9.) to the SATA port on the HDD.

Connect a Data SATA cable from SATA3 socket #4  (MB Manual page $6, item #13.) to the SATA port on the Optical Drive.

Refer Reply #28 for image.

I think I now know my problem; I have no sata data cables connected from the MB to the HDD and Optical drive. So basically my computer powers on but and only gets as far as reading the firmware. It does not process any data, obviously because there are no data cables connected. As for the CPU cable I forgot to list that one.

I currently do not have any sata data cables to connect from the MB to both of the drives. Now either they didn't come with the MB, I accidentally threw them away when throwing the box that came with it away or I have it put them somewhere and cannot remember where.

However I will first look to see if I can find the cables. Failing that I have two other options and that is either to see whether my friend who works with computers has any spares or buy new ones, which won't be until next week as that is when I will have money again to buy them.

Correct if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the data cables are the only things needed now to complete this build.

I do hope also that my next response will be that the computer is up and running.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

This while iammykyl is offline  :thumbsup:

There should have been two SATA data cables included with the MB.

JFYI: At present there is nothing to suggest that there is anything wrong with the add on video card, the reason why I suggested that the add on video card was removed and the MBs integrated video chip was used instead was because the BIOS chip provides the appropriate video drivers for the onboard graphics chip.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I often put my tools away in a safe place, then can't remember where.   It can be months before I discover them.

Good luck. 

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
✓  Best Answer

Great news. Apparently my SATA Data cables were in the toolbox lol. I recently just found them after beginning to attempt to switch cables from an old family desktop computer.

Data cables and graphics card now in and I have currently just finished installing the Operating System which is Linux Mint Cinnamon desktop. I must say for a basic computer it loads rather fast. Internet is also working perfectly.

I would also like to thank both you iammykyl and phillpower2 especially for all of your help with this project. And I apologize if I seemed like I was taking for ever at times. Once again thanks very much.  :cheers:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

That is great news jaco1 and a job well done  :thumbsup:

Credit where it is due and that goes to yourself and iammykyl as I only chimed in briefly  ;)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, well done jaco1, You are very welcome :thumbsup:, time taken was never a problem, most appreciated was continued updates.   Let us know if there is anything else we can help with for this build. 

:wave: Phillpower2, always good to see you on a Topic, thanks.