Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build PC on a budget under £500.00 (solved)

Best Answer jaco1 , 24 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Great news. Apparently my SATA Data cables were in the toolbox lol. I recently just found them after beginning to attempt to switch cables from an old family desktop computer. Data cables and... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jaco1

jaco1

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi,

Firstly thanks to philpower2 for your reply and sorry for taking this long to respond.

So yea another challenge of mine is to build my own PC under about £500.00. The main purpose of the computer will be general purpose computing and the country I will purchase the parts will be UK, unless of course you think it's cheaper to buy abroad.

Okay, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello jaco1

The budget is a bit tight but possibly doable with an AMD build, do you have any parts that you can bring to the build such as a HDD, optical drive or a retail OS disk and product key that is not in use on another computer or an OEM one that has not been used yet.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

As a cheeky addition, the case for it as well if already got access to one. The cheeky bit is that if any good at working with sheet metal and possibly a MIG welder, you could make one, I know of someone who did. Made a nice job of it too.

Nev.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hello jaco1

The budget is a bit tight but possibly doable with an AMD build, do you have any parts that you can bring to the build such as a HDD, optical drive or a retail OS disk and product key that is not in use on another computer or an OEM one that has not been used yet.

I currently have no parts at the moment. As for an OS I suppose I could always make that Linux which is kind of what I was thinking in the beginning too.

Furthermore I know a technician offline who was looking to get rid of some old parts but I am not so sure that would be ideal for this as some things might not be compatible. Then again those things you mentioned might be okay at this stage? If not then I am going to need to look around to buy these things too.

Also it's going to probably take around two to three months I think to make this due to financial reason.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are best to do this progressively then as in save up some funds and shop around for a decent case then do the same for the MB and CPU etc, prices fluctuate all the time so what is a good buy today may not be tomorrow, I would recommend that you go for a MB and CPU that have integrated graphics as this will allow you to use that option until finances allow the purchase of an appropriate video card.

As for any potential parts from your tech friend, any SATA HDDs or optical drives going spare will help.

Linux is also a good option  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

To give you a start point for a good general purpose computer that will also play most games on medium settings and have a excellent CPU upgrade path for£492.84

You could o,it the GPU and still be able to stream, browse, run Office and play games lklike the SIMS.

based on using Linux OS. > http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CHnvD3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Nicely done on a shoestring budget iammykyl  :)

A few ££s can be saved here on a PSU without losing the quality or efficiency but gaining an extra 100W and if registered with EVGA within 30 days a 10 year warranty

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Phillpower2.   Very nice find for the PSU.

Updated build, > http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/f6rjRB

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome Michael  :)

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks guys. I have just recently got paid and need to work out some stuff and then think about buying some of those parts. Please do not think I am being rude if I am taking a long time to reply here but due to financial reasons building this will not be a very quick process. I will however keep you updated.

kind regards.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Basically my topic here was about finding the right parts for a good price and which I feel that both you PhilPower and Michael have achieved. So I think my plan now is to wait until I have all of the parts, follow the tutorial on how to build a PC and post a new topic if I need any help with that.

Unless you think anything else needs to be discussed then I would like to thank you for your help.

Kind regards.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No need to start a new topic as you can ask any questions or let us know back here when your build is done.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  :rockon:

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Okay, sorry it's taken this long but I finally have all the parts and I am now in the process of building my desktop PC. There something in the tutorial about extra discrete video cards but I don't think I have any of that based on what I bought follwing your recommendations here. So I will move onto the next part. Thanks.