Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary master hard disc error

• Please log in to reply

mom2the3rs

mom2the3rs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
American Megatrends logo came up with press F2 to run set up
Press F11 if you want to boot from the net work
Boot selection popup menu has been selected
Initializing USB controllers..done
Lists sub devices
Auto detecting......

I don't want to do anything to make things worse. Does this mean my computer has crashed?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Not able to say if it has crashed

First thing you should do is when you enter the BIOS menu by pressing F2 go check if your BIOS detects your Hard drive or not.

If it is detected then go into your BOOT menu option and make sure your Hard Drive is the first boot.

Right now from what i can understand of your post is that your computer is trying to boot from the network first and when that happens and it cannot find a network it will not look for other boot option but keep on searching for a network to boot from.

If your BIOS does not detect your Hard Drive then maybe your computer has crashed due to a faulty HDD.

Hope that helps.

mom2the3rs

mom2the3rs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. I was finally able to get where I could start it in safe mode.
I will try your suggestions if it happens again when I restart. I have a Dell cos one with Vista. Do you think my hard drive is failing? I am wondering if I just have too much on it? I am purging a lot of duplicate pictures (from syncing phone).

mom2the3rs

mom2the3rs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
XPS One

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

To see if your hard drive is too full do this calculation, you should have at least 15% free space on your hard drive (if 100gb drive then should have 15gb free) this way windows can work more freely swapping and moving files with no issues.

Also if you want to verify if your hard drive is still healthy you should check what brand (WD, Seagate, Samsung ect) it is and download the bootable iso image of their utility cd and burn it on a cd then boot from it and verify if your drive is healthy.

First thing would be to verify your free space, once you have at least 15% free then verify the drive with the boot cd and if it passes the tests then you should do a Checkdisk whithin Windows and finally do a defrag using if possible use another defrag program rather the the built in one from windows (I suggest Auslogics DiskDefrag).