Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not hold any updates at all or any deleted files after r

will not update anything

• Please log in to reply

jazzie4ever

jazzie4ever

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I am not sure if it's an operating or virus/malware issue.

I turned on my computer about two months ago and since that date my compter (vista) will not keep any updates or changes after shutting down or restarting.

I have contacted Norton since the first thing I noticed not updating was there program. OMG its like talking to a wall with them. So after 8 calls I quit.

I haven't tried much except for updating continuously and Norton Eraser but nothing was found. Since it started now windows, java, and adobe also will not update. I have changed files or erased history such as browsing but those will come back after restart. I have joked my compter is teflon now nothing will stick. I looked up any type of virus that may have not been quarantined or was on the loose the date it started but could find nothing. I now just update everytime I use the computer which is a pain. Anyone know what's going on?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:    jazzie4ever

Are the time and date shown to be correct on the taskbar.

Can we take a look at your HDD/partition/s please.

Go to Start then to Search

Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.

Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

jazzie4ever

jazzie4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you for answering my post. Yes, the task bar clock/calender is correct always.

Attached Thumbnails

• Print Screen Geeks.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update which shows no obvious issues with your HDD, a lack of free disk space was what we were quickly checking for  :thumbsup:

Windows Vista update troubleshooting tool for you to try is available from here

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking and then updating, if not can you please try it. 

For testing purposes uninstall Norton using the removal tool from here

Install Avast free from here and see how that goes.

If the above does not resolve the issue I will provide the instructions for SFC (system file checker).

You are welcome btw  :)

jazzie4ever

jazzie4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So far not so good. I have gone through all the things you gave me so far nothing has worked.

I ran Windows trouble shooting on July 9th with no luck but tried again three times. First with all updates downloaded ready to install upon restart, again with no updates downloaded, and again with just windows updates downloaded. I didn't know if I should but tried each scenario just in case. As before at each restart no matter what is done everything goes back to the only updated install are from 6/16/2014. I mean every update dissappears Norton, Windows, Java, Adobe, and any changes such as deleted files, pictures uploaded also. I am sure there is more I am not realizing.

Okay next I tried booting up in Safe Mode but it does not allow me to update Norton. Oops I forgot windows but will go back if needed.

I then uninstalled Norton but upon restart it was stil there. OMG this is crazy I tried twice and it was like nothing ever happened. Can I install Avast and disable Norton somehow without removing it?

I am determined to find out what is going on. I was in the middle of moving when I posted the issue so haven't had time to get to all this until today. I've spent most of the day getting it done since I don't want to have to buy a new computer!

Again thanks so much for your time and expertise helping to fix my computer! : )

jazzie4ever

jazzie4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I was going to add the results from the Windows Vista Troubleshooting but since I restarted the file I saved is gone. I can run it again if needed. Just let me know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Try uninstalling Norton again using the removal tool from here and then run CCleaner  (free) to remove any possible stray Norton/Symantec left over files, do not use it for anything else and avoid the registry cleaner at all costs.

Do you have a Vista installation disk.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, firstly please follow Philpower2s advice and also tell us if you do have a Vista disk.

Next if Phillpower2 doesn't mind I already have a canned speech for running a system file check, so to save time I will post it, originally written for Windows 7 but it is the same for Vista.

How to run the system file checker in Windows 7.

Click on the start orb and then type into the search bar cmd.exe

Cmd.exe should then appear at the top as in this image.

Elevatedcmdp1_zps092b792a.png

As shown, right click on the cmd.exe and then when it opens click on "Run as administrator" as shown here.

Elevatedcmdp2_zps07be95a5.png

You may get the user account control security window just click "Yes" 

Accountcontrol_zps077d5db9.jpg

The next to appear is the DOS like command prompt window with white writing on a black background with a flashing cursor as shown here, just type in sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /scannow)

Elevatedcmdp3_zps07be95a5.png

It should look just like this, do not click on anything before typing.

Elevatedcmdp4_zps758f7b9b.png

If everything is as above, hit the enter key on your keyboard and it will commence scanning the system files.

It will take some time so let it continue till it is finished.

Whatever it reports at the end please let us know.

If it reports that some files couldn't be repaired. run it at least three more times unless it reports it has found no problems.

If after three runs it still tells you it couldn't fix some errors again please let us know.

Nev.

jazzie4ever

jazzie4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you for posting the file checker instructions. I did run it as requested and all times it stated found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I have attached both files that I believe have the information you might need.

I am not sure this computer came with the Windows Vista disks. I just moved so I will work on finding the box they are in and get back with ya on that.

I thought I would restart the computer to see if possible one of the files it restored migh have fixed the problem. Hope so! If not I will work on removing Norton again and downloading Avast.

Thank you all for this help I really appreciate it.

Attached File  CheckSUR.persist.log   594.43KB   144 downloads

Attached File  CheckSUR.log   299.76KB   216 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

We will wait on your update before commenting further but once we know where you are up to Nev or myself will advise  :thumbsup: