Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

added ram module

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I added another 4gb of ram and windows shows 8gb of ram inatalled but 3.9 useable. Why isn't the other 4gb useable?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

You might have the 32 bits version of windows installed.

To be sure check in control panel/system it will tell you the system type (32 bits or 64 bits)

32 bits version can only use a maximum of ram even if the pc/laptop can install more than 3.5 gb of ram

If you have a 64 bit of windows then we will have to check the reason why it is only using half of your ram.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I am running x64 system. Do I need to change the mobo bios settings? Previously they were set to 32 bit to run XP.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and full model number of the computer or motherboard if it's a custom built.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

What is the model/brand of your pc/laptop, if a pc and not a brand name (HP ACER etc) what is your motherboard model.

A detailed description of your hardware would be appreciated

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Mobo: EVGA P55 SLI FTW

PSU: Corsair HX 850w Pro series

Graphics card: 2 AMD XFX 6870 Black Editions crossfire configured

G5 Logitech usb gaming mouse

Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard

Intel CPU-i5 2.80mhz, quad core; stock cooler

PLEXTOR 512GB SSD SATAII

Attached Thumbnails

• summery.jpg

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

You forget to tell us what are the ram modules and how many sticks you are using (2 or 4)

Also after reading on the web on your issue concerning your motherboard there have been many reports of memory slots that are defective on this board causing the system to use only half the memory.

You should try to run your system with only one stick of ram installed to see if it will work

Untitled.jpg

The usual dimm with the problem is dimm 1

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I've had one stick of 4gb ram in slot 1 for two years never giving me any problem. I recently added a second stick to slot 3. The memory modules are Ripjaws PC-3 1600 set at 1333mhz.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

So I am guessing your dimm 1 is fully operational, did you try swapping your ram modules from dimm 1 to 3 and vice versa.

When you enter your BIOS menu do you see the full 8gb in the bios or is it like in windows and it shows only 4gb

You can also use MEMTEST86+ program to verify your ram modules

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
A different issue has arisen. Windows will not resume from hibernation: it simply hangs until I press the restart button.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
The Bios shows 8gb of ram.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

The Bios shows 4gb of ram again.

Attached Thumbnails

• SysInfo.png

Edited by khazarian, 26 August 2014 - 05:42 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

The BIOS is when you enter by pressing DEL key as soon as you start your computer, the picture you are showing us is once you have entered Windows.(System Information).

The reason I am asking is to verify if the problem is harware (motherboard, ram modules, Bios setting) or software (windows), if it shows 8gb in the BIOS and 4GB in windows then it is windows who's at fault but if both show 4gb even if you have your two ram modules (8gb) installed then we can assume it is a hardware problem or maybe a BIOS setting issue.

Often not being able to resume from Hibernation is caused by faulty ram so if I were you I would run a diagnostic to test your ram (Memtest86+) and if possible test them with only one stick of ram in dimm1 if both pass the test then do a test with both ram modules in dimm 1 and 3 to verify if dimm 3 is working properly.

Edited by Alzeimer, 27 August 2014 - 03:27 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I fired up mdsched.exe from the run command and it found no issues with the ram sticks. It goes into sleep mode normally but from hibernation the splash screen says "Resuming Windows" with the four icons seeming to stutter before lining up properly in the center of the screen-then it freezes forcing me to press the power off button. I also ran memtest which returned no problems found.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

What I did to get hibernation working again was disable and then reenable automount in DISKPART as an administrator.  It's now functioning like a champ. Plus I no longer have the message "This copy of Windows 7 is not genuine" in the lower right portion of the desktop screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop.jpg

Edited by khazarian, 28 August 2014 - 02:06 PM.