Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a case

Node 304 Prodigy

• Please log in to reply

Chou

Chou

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm building the following config and I'm trying to decide on a case to use, between the Fractal Node 304 and BitFenix Prodigy. I like the relative portability of the node 304 as I could fit it in a gym bag and carry it on the train easily, but I don't think I'll be doing that much travel so I'm not sure how much that matters. I also don't plan to do much upgrading in the future (but you never know). Here is my config:

CPU: Intel Core i5-47990K 3.
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 120MM Liquid Cooling Kit
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini-ITX w/ 802.11ac WiFi + BT 4.0, Dual GbLAN, 1 PCIe x16, 4x SATA 6Gb/s
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (4GB x 2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory
Storage: 128GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s
Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s HDD
Video Card: EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 w/ ACX Cooling PCIe 3.0
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (Black) or Fractal Design Node 304
Power Supply: Corsair CX600 600W 80 Plus Bronze

Given my config, would either case be more ideal over the other to accommodate the components? Also, would anyone know how the two cases compare in terms of airflow, cooling, and noise? I'm getting it from Cyberpower and the difference in price between the cases is just $10 so price difference isn't much of a deciding issue. Thoughts anyone?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:   Chou,

I know you have only asked about a case but thought I best mention some important points to you;

Carrying desktop computers of any size around should not be taken lightly, there is just too many things that can become loose inside and in the case of liquid cooling that may leak it will wipe out all of your hardware, also please see my canned text below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

Intel Core i5-47990K 3.

Sorry not familiar with this CPU, is it a possible typo.

What will be the main use of the computer.

NB: The selected MB does not get very good user reviews at Newegg btw.

Chou

Chou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

:welcome:   Chou,

I know you have only asked about a case but thought I best mention some important points to you;

Carrying desktop computers of any size around should not be taken lightly, there is just too many things that can become loose inside and in the case of liquid cooling that may leak it will wipe out all of your hardware, also please see my canned text below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

Intel Core i5-47990K 3.

Sorry not familiar with this CPU, is it a possible typo.

What will be the main use of the computer.

NB: The selected MB does not very good user reviews at Newegg btw.

Thanks for the comments and warning. I plan to use it for gaming purposes mainly.

The CPU was a typo, its the 4790K 3.5 GHz.

As for the MB, I'm not as knowledgeable about that part, it was one my friend picked out. I'm getting the pc from this site so I'm limited in options, but perhaps there may be better choices.
http://www.cyberpowe...FF_Configurator

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Thanks for the update and clarification  :thumbsup:

For gaming you do not need or would utilise an i7 CPU, it would be a waste of your finances and the cash would be better spent elsewhere, an OS such as Windows 7 or 8.1 64-bit for example.

You will get better bang for your buck if you purchase the parts and either build the computer yourself or have a local tech build it for you, PCPartpickers is a useful site for configuring and getting the best prices for hardware components, see here try putting your own list of parts together and then posting the link here and we can take a look at it & give you some pointers, alternatively tell us your maximum budget & we will suggest a list for you.