Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't allow login

• Please log in to reply

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

I have a Pavilion dv6 running windows 7 Home Premium 64bit that won't allow a login in normal mode.  The cursor won't respond.  I've booted in safe mode, the system operates normally, cursor responds.  I don't know if I can run any of the anti-malware programs in safe mode.  Any suggestions?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In Safe mode, use Windows' System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Video: Fixing a problem using System Restore

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Thanks for the input.  I moved this to another area because of certain issues.  I did try the Restore and the computer functioned normally for about 5-10 minutes, then locked up again.  I'm currently following instructions so I can't freelance with it (not that that was helping anyway).

I think this may be ugly!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The next step then would be to restore an earlier system image or backup.

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

The problem with that solution is it's a friends laptop, and there wasn't a backup.  We ended up cleaning it up through multiple scans through the Malware Removal forums.  I was just glad he didn't lose all his files.  Thanks for the inputs!

wussy smurf

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Good to hear the problem's been resolved.

Might want to introduce your friend to EaseUS Todo Backup Free