Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office Starter problems

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Last spring I switched to this new computer which came loaded with MS Office Starter. At first, the program seemed very slow as if everything was being done online (and I have a very slow connection)  but at some point, I was able to use Word for writing letters even when I was offline.  Recently I have gotten Update notices while doing other things and I finally clicked the OK button. Today I tried to write a letter and only got partway through the date before the "busy signal" = 'circling arrow' appeared and a "Microsoft ...is downloading ..features" message repeatedly appeared near the bottom. I finally closed the program and checked my System Restore from before the supposed Update, but it showed no changes since then.

Any suggestions about what is going on or how to fix it? I don't remember what I found or did to get it working 'better' the first time.

I want it to work offline and don't need or want my meager work "stored in the clouds...."

I still use the good-old US Mail to send any official documents I write.

I used to have MS Word on my old system and still have the disc(s) around somewhere. What I should do is get the old system going again, reinstall that program on it, and use it as my word processor. That system worked better with my printers, too. Any chance I could use the disc(s) to install Word on this system instead (or too)?

Yes, I'm familiar with OpenOffice, but need to understand this problem whether or not I choose to replace it with something else.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Did you try to repair the Office Starter installation?

Check the following Microsoft link: Update, repair, or uninstall Office Click-to-Run products

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hello SleepyDude;

[I should have titled this thread as Microsoft Word Starter; I have the 2010 version. I haven't done any work with Excel or anything in the Tools folder of MS Office Starter.]

Yes, that was the first thing I tried and I did it twice just in case. I also checked the Options settings and looked at Properties but saw nothing which looked useful. Over the last few days, the system seemed to be constantly downloading (especially "Required Features") for the program so maybe some of the very slow responding problems were that it had never finished updating the program, even when I left it alone for long periods of time.

Earlier yesterday the program  finally started working properly and reasonably fast, so long as I am connected to the internet, but as soon as the connection is lost, I get a message below saying the connection was lost, the whole program freezes and the only way to close the program is through the Task Manager. I thought that, until I closed the program, nothing else on the computer worked either and switching to some other program by clicking a different icon on the taskbar seemed not to be possible, but maybe I was wrong about that because it isn't true now.

So, it looks like being unable to use the program unless internet-connected is the only current problem...but still the worst one.

I've talked to someone else who thinks he can use the program when offline, just as I thought I was previously able to. I understand there's a Microsoft website.... where it might be easier to find someone who knows more about this terrible program.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by TooNew2, 31 August 2014 - 09:36 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Do you have the file setupconsumerc2rolw.exe needed to reinstall Office Starter?

With this file and eventually others located on the same folder you can do a backup, then completely remove Office and finally reinstall.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

That file does not show up when I do a search, so I assume I don't have it.