Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my current system

Upgrading component

• Please log in to reply

123Mario

123Mario

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi, everybody, well to stars i sould say, i'm not really good with my english, so if there's something you don't understand don't afraid to ask what I mean.

So I want to upgrade my computer, But I can't figure out what i can put in my computer and what I can't.

I guess I need to give my system information.

I just want to know what is the best I can buy for gaming without changing the motherboard

Operating system : Microsoft Windows 7 pro (64 bit)

Model : Compaq Presario KT580AA-A2L SR5548F

Processor : Intel pentium E2200 @ 2.20 GHz (1 Processor, 2 cores)

Processor ID : GenuineIntel Family 6 model 15 stepping 13

Processor codename : Conroe

Processor Package : Socket 775 LGA

Motherboard : Msi Boston

Northbridge : Intel P35/G33/G31 10

Southbridge : Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) A1

Memory : 4 Gbytes Kingston DDR2 SDRAM

Graphic Card : Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

If there something else you need to know let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

discipulus

discipulus

• Pip
  • 4 posts

The best upgrade, dollar for dollar, for general use, is to install Windows to a solid state drive.

The best investment you can make for gaming performance would be to upgrade your video card. I would recommend a GTX 650 or 750 from Nvidia. Personally, I like Nvidia over AMD.

Choosing between the two, you would see a better gaming performance with the upgraded video card. Total performance would be to do both.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:    123Mario

Upgrade options to check out include Ram and the video card, please be aware that upgrading the video card may also require a PSU upgrade unless the stock Compaq/HP has already been upgraded to a quality brand 500W or above minimum of bronze rated PSU, please advise as to the present PSU details.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/?click=true let us know what is suggested.

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;

Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.

What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If this is your computer. > http://h20566.www2.h...44892.199480143

It has a 250 watt PSU.   You may just get away with installing a video card that darws power from the PCI slot, any card requiring a PCI-E supplementary cable will not work, you would have to upgrade the PSU to 450/500 watt, i.e.  > http://www.ebay.co.u...r-/320844310603

It seems to have 3GB installed RAM, upgrade would gain you very little.

I don't think it is worth the hassle or $$ to upgrade the present configuration.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I did note the memory specs but found them vague so asked the OP to run the Crucial tool to confirm it for themselves;

Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

This could be misconstrued as implying that you can add more Ram if like 123Mario you have a 64-bit OS, HP clearly stating a maximum 4GB Ram capacity would remove any doubt.

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi everybody thanks for the quick answer and for the welcome from phill.

Actually I did a upgrade in the RAM, I have 4 GB, And a windows 64 bit installed.

What is the difference between full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) ?

I'll search for a PSU 500 watt.

And is there a difference between GTX 650 and 750, And is it going to work in my computer if i'm installing a 500 GB ?

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I looked for a GTX 750, but it's say I need a PCI express 3.0 And my computer have a PCI express X16 and 2 PCI express X1 (I don't think it's will go on the X1)

and I need to upgrade the PSU if I want that graphic card.

Is that going to work ?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Phillpower2 PM me as I missed that you already have an instilled discrete video card which the specs say needs a PSU of 350 watts and 18 amps on the 12 volt rail.   So if the link I gave for your computer is correct???   the PSU may already be upgrade, please remove the computer side panel and post the PSU detail, brand/model. We can then advise one if needed. 

Video card installed,  > http://www.evga.com/...6f-a2bdf7ae8727

I looked for a GTX 750, but it's say I need a PCI express 3.0 And my computer have a PCI express X16

Your PCI-E 16 slot is version 2.0, the GTX 750 is version 3.0 and is backward compatible, so will work in your computer.   

What is the difference between full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) ?                                                                                                                                                                                

A.   Refers to the actual size from quite big to very sall, sometimes given as the volume of the case.

is there a difference between GTX 650 and 750, And is it going to work in my computer if i'm installing a 500 GB ?

A.   The 750 gives better performance than the 650.  It will work, but let's wait for the info I asked for about the PSU, to see if you actually need one.   

Please give us your max budget and in which country you will be purchasing the parts? 

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi, Iammykyl

I'm purchasing online and the max is like 200-250$ I know it's not high but it's all i can use for now.

I'll post the Brand/model of my CPU after open my computer.

Thanks for all the answer again.

Edited by 123Mario, 30 August 2014 - 09:56 PM.

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

My CPU is a X-supply JSP-450P08N 450W.

Thanks for all the answer.

Advertisements

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

And I think I have a full tower.

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Iammykyl, I forgot to say in the first post that my actual graphic card is a asus brand.

Good day to you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK with the GPU, about the same requirement. 

Information is almost nil for the X-supply JSP-450P08N 450W, best I could do is a pic, seems to have 26 amp on the 12v rail, a rather poor quality PSU.   I think it would run any of these cards as it draws from the PCI slot. 

but also given an option for a PSU. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182261

If you want to go one better this card , but you would definitely have to upgrade the PSU to the Rosewill  > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127790

123Mario

123Mario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thanks for your answer Iammykyl.

So, you saying my CPU should get hold of the GTX 750. But if i want a better I need to upgrade the CPU.

Through it's doesn't cost mush more than GTX 750, but how better is it ? I mean on what setting i would be able to put on my game with that card.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome :thumbsup: 

First, I must reiterate that your existing PSU is poor quality and not to be trusted.   Regardless of which video card you choose, I strongly urge you to replace the PSU.   A new video card and PSU, together with your existing HDD, optical drive, and possible the case could all be used in the future.   

So yes, your existing PSU is powerful enough to support a new GTX 750ti GPU, with the above reservations.

The AMD R7 265 is aprox 17/20% better performance than the GTX 750ti.  Some benchmarks for you, remember that the rest of your hardware would not enable you to get playable game performance at the highest setting, so look at the results for medium setting.

>  http://www.anandtech...view-maxwell/11

Here are three cards from Nvidia, one from AMD and the PSU. > http://www.newegg.co...202-096:$$$$$$$