Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD for Macbook Pro

• Please log in to reply

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Anyone here replace their hard drive with a solid state drive.

I have a first generation (2006) Macbook Pro and it's in beautiful shape and I am thinking about replacing the 100GB Hard Drive

with a 120 GB (?) Solid State Drive.

The Hard Drive works fine I just thought I would improve the speed.

It seems to be the way of hard drives - replacing with newer versions - HD to SSD.

Looks easy enough to do too - watched a few videos on youtube OR there are the guys downtown here who do Mac repair and can

do it.

Any thoughts?

Edited by itsmesunny, 30 August 2014 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello itsmesunny

What looks and is easy for one person may not be for another so we avoid saying that anything is easy  :thumbsup:

Swapping the drives is one thing but it does need mentioning here that an OS will need to either be reinstalled or the data on the present HDD cloned to the SSD, example UK product and services cost here and here if your budget will allow it opt for a 240GB SSD if you intend keeping hold of the Mac for the foreseeable future.

OWC USA prices here and upgrade videos here

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok. thanks for the repy.

And yes I am aware of the points that you brought up. One of the videos I watched also brought up those points.

1 - My MbP will only go to 10.6.8  ( because it is an early 2006 ) - Snow Leopard - which I recently installed and have the Disc to Reinstall it.

2 - I have Western Digital external hard drive and I can use Time Machine to transfer everything to it. I have already done that but a while ago so I would redo it.

I have about a 100 GB capacity on the MbP hard drive and 250 MbP on the external hard drive - so I'm thinking that I really do not need a 240 GB SSD. What do you think?

What do you think?

2.0 GhZ Core Duo, A1150, MA464LV/A

MacBook Pro 1,1

First Generation

Edited by itsmesunny, 31 August 2014 - 12:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

It sounds like you have everything in hand already itsmesunny  :thumbsup:

Fitting a 120GB SSD and doing a fresh install of the OS to that would be the way that I would go, you already have everything backed up to the HDD that has been removed by doing it that way, always a nice, safe option to have in case of an emergency.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok. 

So given what I wrote, do you think that I could do this install myself ( maybe with one of my sons who has a MbP and taken his apart for something else - although he did have the video chip replaced by a co. out west ) - ?

O and I had that done to mine a couple of years ago - the video chip replacement - by the same co.

He took it to the local guys here as I did mine ( for the chip ) -  we are in Maine and they send those out to a co. in California - and when it came back they talked about putting in a SSD, cuz it would speed it up and  which they did install cuz it was there and already apart, to replace another fan which they did for no charge. And he put in a 60GB SSD.

( He has the same as me, just a 17" screen. ) So...I guess it's just preference and price to consider.

So, I could do that too. It's just downtown here. Although, I kind of want to try it myself. I like to do stuff like that so I think I probably could cuz it looks easy enough, but what if I screw it up? And in that case I could just take it downtown to them and they could fix it.

So I dunno. I go back and forth with it. What I do not have is the tiny screwdriver with the phillips and the hex. But anyway I have a couple of choices: get the tools and do it or just take it downtown.

:unsure:

Edited by itsmesunny, 01 September 2014 - 08:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Check out the prices of any tools needed as opposed to what your local tech store will charge you for swapping out the drives, if you are nervous about doing the task yourself for peace of mind it would be best to have the local tech store do the job for you.