Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card messing up?

• Please log in to reply

MaxDuo

MaxDuo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just built my computer yesterday and have been pretty happy with it. Goes fast enough.. Keeps very cool (minus the video card... since the fan kinda sucks on it... it keeps a bit wwarm).

Anyway. Today I installed Warcraft 3 and ran it in 1024x728 resolution and turned up all the settings all the way. I just wanted to see what it looked like since my old PC needed everything on low... Well, about 10 minutes into the game my screen went blank and said there was no signal to it.

I went back and opened up my monitoring stuff. I ran it again. I think the temperatures of the card got up to about 55C or so.. I figured I'd get a little further along like before checking again. Got to about the same point not thinking to check... And again the screen went blank and questioned the signal.

Well I tried again with lower settings to see if I could keep it cooler and not have that problem. I think when I was checking it was a few degrees cooler... NOthing big... Just 3-6 or so.. I can't remember.

So then I decided to test Commandos 3 in it. Got a little ways into that, and yet again... Screen went black and claimed there was no signal.

I'm not sure as to if it's overheating.. Or what. But I keep having that problem and am wondering what it could be. I'm gonna try reseating it in a little bit to see if that'll help any. But does anyone else have any suggestions?

I also noticed today that it has been deactivated on newegg. :-\

Thanks ahead of time,
Tyler

PS: Oh, and no. I haven't overclocked anything on here yet.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi maxduo,

please list your motherboard, cpu, and video card. also info on your power supply, how many watts.
make and model # for all the above please!

did you install the motherboard drivers after the windows install? and how are you getting you temp readings, from bios or a monitoring program?

MaxDuo

MaxDuo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

please list your motherboard, cpu, and video card. also info on your power supply, how many watts.
make and model # for all the above please!

did you install the motherboard drivers after the windows install? and how are you getting you temp readings, from bios or a monitoring program?

Actually I have those listed in my info.

Motherboard: BFGNF4U
cpu: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core
video card: XFX Geforce 6600GT PCI-e
PSU: Thermaltake Silent Power 420W.

I installed windows then after that I did the mobo and video drivers. The temperature readings are coming from BIOS and a monitoring program.

MaxDuo

MaxDuo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nevermind now. I fixed it. I had been so stressed about the XP-90 heatsink installation Thursday(very tight fit, can't actually mount it the way you are supposed to) that I had been worried of something messing up. So I was just telling myself it had to be the hardware or something. I uninstalled all the drivers and installed all the new ones.... Figuring it'd do nothing because of how the thing was reacting in the gaming. Told myself the drivers it came with couldn't do that. But apparently they did.... Because I played Warcraft 3 for about 40 minutes tonight without trouble. Over half the time was all max settings.

Geez.... Something has got me on the pessimistic side of life lately and I didn't want to believe it could be so easy.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad to hear you got it going!
drivers can make all the difference, as you have now seen.
dont feel bad, I was overthinking it too- based on your response before, it sounded like you have a pretty good idea of what your doing, so instead of posting back with the usual check this, have you done this, etc. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what truly strange thing could be causing your problem.... :tazz:

all I had come up with so far was cooling for your PC, like if you didnt have enough airflow.

modern graphics cards can run REALLY hot, and the cards dont seem to mind. my ATI X850 gets up to 67c when running doom3 on high settings, AA and AF cranked up. its fan doesnt even start to spin faster, it has no problems at that temp, even after 3 hours.

post back anytime, especially if your gonna solve it yourself! just kidding, we're happy to help out.

MaxDuo

MaxDuo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Haha, well was I in less of a dismal mood and less worried about something being screwed (I asked newegg why it deactivated and they said they do that when things won't be in stock for a ways over 3 weeks....) but I was worried it got discontinued... And I was stuck w/ needing a new one and maybe having something else messed up. So I told myself it wouldn't be such a simple thing :tazz: