Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Kali Linux alongside Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

IONx64

IONx64

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi dear Geeks,

I have Kali x86 and want to install it alongside to my Win OS.

Is that possible and how?

Please help me how to do that.

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisements

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I have windows 8.1. Thanks for support friend.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

that video should get you up and running then. :thumbsup:

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 08 September 2014 - 02:13 PM.

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I did everything as it is shown on video and link too but nothing. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

can you give more information like at what step did this not go as planned, what error messages are you getting, did you change your uefi setting to legacy mode first so you can boot the live cd and do the actual installation of kali, and did you install it, etc, etc.?

the more information you can provide the easier it is for me to try and find a solution to your problem.

just guessing but i'd bet the problem is with secure boot and uefi some how.

now not having a uefi system to test on myself i can't check if the info in that video works or not, but first thing you must do before starting anything is partition your hard drive in widows so it has an empty partition with enough space to install kali then go into your uefi settings and turn off secure boot and boot the machine in legacy mode not boot uefi mode for it to work.

once kali is installed and converted to boot with uefi mode i think but am not sure secure boot can be re-enabled along with changing the uefi settings back to booting in uefi mode.

so please provide more information, tell us exactly step by step what your doing and what your changing in uefi (make good notes of all changings made there, so you can change things back later.) and all error messages recieved.

just had a thought, what hardware are you trying to install kali on, can you give make and model of the machine, if i remember correctly with all arm processor machines your not going to have options to turn off secure mode and uefi booting, so will be unable to install kali on your machine and will need to use a linux distro that has uefi compatibility built into it's installer, there are a few out there.

you may even be able to install kali then from that linux distro's boot menu. i'm thinking along the lines of installing suse 13.1 kde live then in that add the kali image to it's grub2 boot menu so it can be booted and installed without secure boot or uefi settings making any difference because those will have already been bypassed to boot the grub2 menu, just guessing and thinking aloud, never having tried this solution for any distro that can't boot uefi natively.

anyway back to this problem, provide hardware info, step by step guide of what your doing and where it fails along with complete error messages please, and we'll see what we can do from there to get things working for you. ;)

Edited by terry1966, 09 September 2014 - 12:33 PM.

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Terry1966, see below link please, its my machine:

First i make 15GB partition from D drive on my windows 8.1. After i made bootable media of Kali (DVD) and booted it after restart. I choose Live options and when it booted in Live i choose install kali and ran it, after i select a region and keyboard options, and than select a partition 15GB which i made in windows, i made also swap area but after not runs system installation. i did everything same as it was shown on video and link. 

Thanks for support.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

that link doesn't work for me, just says page not found. so still don't know what hardware you have.

ok from what you have said it sounds like you may have a bad burn or disk, can you download it again click on the iso (not the torrent) from link below, either 32 bit or 64 bit version and save it to your pc. 

http://www.kali.org/downloads/

check the downloaded file against it's sha1 number listed next to the iso you downloaded they should match proving that the download wasn't corrupted and is ok to burn, if they don't then you will have to download it again.

here's a link explaining how to run the sha1 check :- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889768

now burn it as an image to a dvd disk at 4x speed (or the slowest possible) get whatever software you use to burn the image to verify the burn when complete, if everything passes, try again with that to see if it will now install.

also can you make sure the 15gb partition you created in windows is unallocated space and not allocated a drive letter and being used by windows, shouldn't make a difference but not having much experience with windows 8 and never having set up a dual boot system with it i don't really know.

Edited by terry1966, 10 September 2014 - 06:12 AM.

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi terry, thanks.

I will try that. That 15gb partition is located and has a drive letter too. also it was formatted by ntfs too.

That is my machine:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 8.1 32-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz: 40 °C
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45C-DS3 (Socket 775): 47 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1680x1050@59Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (Undefined): 51 °C
Storage
465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA): 45 °C
465GB Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (SATA): 51 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 8.1 32-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 2/1/2014 12:15:12 PM

Edited by IONx64, 11 September 2014 - 12:10 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok you don't have an arm processor so the normal iso 32bit or 64bit should work, just go into windows and delete that 15GB partition first so it shows as unallocated space then try again.

Edited by terry1966, 11 September 2014 - 11:28 AM.

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi, I damaged my Win os after trying installing that Kali...:)))) and now i have trouble installing windows again, :)))))))))))

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

did you get kali installed and running?

do you know what you did to damage your windows os? just break boot loader or completely overwrite os partition?

how are you trying to install windows again? are you using a cd/dvd or from a recovery partition?

use your kali cd live and run this command as root

fdisk -l

and post back the results in next reply (so i can see what your hd/partition setup is) along with the answers to my questions please.

Edited by terry1966, 17 September 2014 - 12:02 AM.

subrat112

subrat112

• Pip
  • 1 posts

that video should get you up and running then. :thumbsup:

Which video please share

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry no idea where the link to the video went or exactly what video it was but here is a google search link to lots of videos explaining how to dual boot kali with windows :- https://www.google.c...i linux&tbm=vid