Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to remove fbi virus using FRST [Closed]

virus frst

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

As the problem is with my second computer only I thought we could try and clean it first and see how it goes, then if it gets infected again, then upgrade it. If this happens, will inserting the updated Windows CD and loading the new operating system automatically scrub the hard disk and all its viruses?

No worries, we can continue the cleaning. :thumbsup:

If you do decide to upgrade, when you put the Windows CD in, you'll have the option of formatting the hard drive, which is recommended, and having a nice clean drive to install the new OS on. But make absolutely sure you copy any of your personal files off the drive before doing so.

Let's uninstall a couple of programs and run a small fix with FRST.

Step 1: Program Uninstalls

Please uninstall the following programs as they are malware related.
  • Search-Results Toolbar
  • SpeedyPC Pro
Step 2: Fix with FRST
  • Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy.
  • Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste).
  • Save it on the desktop as fixlist.txt

Start
Toolbar: HKLM - No Name - {f34c9277-6577-4dff-b2d7-7d58092f272f} - No File
End

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait. The tool will make a log on the desktop (Fixlog.txt) please post it in your next reply.

Things I need to see in your next post:

Fixlog.txt Log

Question: How is the machine running?

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
User returned, topic re-opened.

jamesfo

jamesfo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks Pystryker,

Computer is running fine. Here is the log:

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x86) Version: 10-09-2014
Ran by Piscator at 2014-09-17 20:11:49 Run:5
Running from G:\
Boot Mode: Normal

==============================================

Content of fixlist:
Start
Toolbar: HKLM - No Name - {f34c9277-6577-4dff-b2d7-7d58092f272f} - No File
End

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\\{f34c9277-6577-4dff-b2d7-7d58092f272f} => value deleted successfully.
"HKCR\CLSID\{f34c9277-6577-4dff-b2d7-7d58092f272f}" => Key not found.

==== End of Fixlog ====

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
I'm sorry for the delay.  It appears the board ate my last reponse to you, again, my apologies.

Hi, let's run a sweep for remnants and check for any out of date programs on your machine. :)

Please disable your antivirus for the duration of my instructions. Don't forget to re-enable them after you have completed the steps.

Step 1: Scan with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop
Install the progamme and select update
Once it has updated select Settings > Detection and Protection
Tick Scan for rootkits

MBAMsettings_zpsb6b9ada0.jpg

Go back to the Dashboard and select Scan Now

MBAMScan_zps8ba7d192.jpg

If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button, MBAM will ask for a reboot.

MBAMReboot_zps9089ab30.jpg

MBAMLog_zpsade07f42.jpg

On completion of the scan (or after the reboot), start MBAM,

Click History, then Application Logs, then check the Select box by the first Scan Log in the list.

Click View, then click Export, select text file and save to the desktop as MBAM.txt and post in your next reply.

Step 2: ESET Online Virus Scan

Please note: You can use Internet Explorer or Firefox for this step.

If you use Firefox, you will be prompted to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe. Please do so, then double click it to install it.

Please click on this link and then click the ESET Online Scanner bar ---->esetbar_zps93905f48.jpg
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on Start
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
  • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on Start
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • Now click on Finish
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Step 3: SecurityCheck Scan

Download Security Checksecuritycheck_zpsb7736812.jpg by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • NOTE: If SecurityCheck aborts and you get the following message: UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! try rebooting the system and then run SecurityCheck again.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Things I need to see in your next post:
  • ESET Scan Log
  • MBAM Log
  • SecurityCheck Log

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.