Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Aurora

• Please log in to reply

Flint

Flint

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I discovered these forums when I did a Google Search for these Aurora Popups that my parents have been having on their computer recently. Just the other day I got them to switch to Firefox, but when they were still having popups, my mom pointed out that they were always by this Aurora company. I was on one hand pleased to notice that this seems to be a pretty common problem, and that others are not only asking for help, but are also getting it.

But i'm wondering just what Aurora is, and how it gets on your system. I would Google it, but I either get just message board results asking for help about the popups or results related to the Northern Lights. ;)

Is Aurora a recent problem? Is there any specific thing or site that loads Aurora on your computer? What file or files are associated with it, usually? Is it virus-esque?

Thanks for any info. I'm just curious. :)

Advertisements

tranman527

tranman527

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
you can remove it in add/remove files in control panel. it will take you to a site to dl the removal tool

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi again, I will get to your followup post shortly. Just saw this one and it caught my eye :tazz:

Aurora is basically an advertising company. I'm not exactly sure how it got into a user's system, but any of these are good guesses:

- the user went on to a site which executed some kind of malicious script
- the user installed a program bundled with it
- clicked on a malware related popup

There could be other reasons also, but those come to mind now. If you really want to know how it got into a system, try shooting a PM to Metallica. He usually test out these things and if anyone should know, he probably does ;)

Aurora popped up (no pun intended ;)) not too long ago. I think it happened around early May (last month). The creators of this had some other malware before this one if I'm correct. So what we recommend to everyone is to stay away from their so-called uninstallers.

You will see two main files with Aurora - nail.exe and svcproc.exe Then there are also other random files. Probably not like a virus. This thing just annoys you by having popups at your screen.

If you want, you can join GeekU (see Malware Forum for link) and you will learn more about hijackings and the like.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts

you can remove it in add/remove files in control panel. it will take you to a site to dl the removal tool

That's not recommended by us. We can remove it without all the privacy concerns floating around that uninstaller.

Flint

Flint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi again, I will get to your followup post shortly.  Just saw this one and it caught my eye :D

Aurora is basically an advertising company.  I'm not exactly sure how it got into a user's system, but any of these are good guesses:

- the user went on to a site which executed some kind of malicious script
- the user installed a program bundled with it
- clicked on a malware related popup

There could be other reasons also, but those come to mind now.  If you really want to know how it got into a system, try shooting a PM to Metallica.  He usually test out these things and if anyone should know, he probably does :D

Aurora popped up (no pun intended :)) not too long ago.  I think it happened around early May (last month).  The creators of this had some other malware before this one if I'm correct.  So what we recommend to everyone is to stay away from their so-called uninstallers.

You will see two main files with Aurora - nail.exe and svcproc.exe  Then there are also other random files.  Probably not like a virus.  This thing just annoys you by having popups at your screen.

If you want, you can join GeekU (see Malware Forum for link) and you will learn more about hijackings and the like.

View Post

Ah, thanks for the info. :D I think i'll look into that GeekU.

And tranman, i'd be highly disappointed in myself if the first thing I did on their computer wasn't to check the Add/Remove Programs window for Aurora. I did, and unless I mysteriously missed it, there was nothing there. :)