Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo toasted? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
CPU cooler was damaged. Looking for a replacenent. In the process of putting the system back on line.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Got the cooler installed. Hooked up the PSU to the power connectors, attached the monitor cable. Pressed the CMOS for 10 seconds and a green light went on in the mobo's power button. Pressed onboard power button and no response from mobo. Is the psu shot or the mobo?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you have RAM installed, please remove it, reseat the the secondary 12v cable at the top of the board, this is often a problem site., test by shorting out the two pins for power on, (front panel header)

If still a fail.   PSU needs to be shown, good/bad first by borrowing, swapping in a know good one, or, finding a local repair shot that will test the PSU, under load, (not possible without proper tester) some will do it free, or a small fee.   Suggest you phone around.   Last resort, buy a new one, but the MB could still be the culprit. Sorry could not be more positive. 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I will perform a multi-meter test of power pins to determine if the voltages are within tolerance. If not, then shoot for a 1000w psu from EVGA-with a 10yr warranty.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I shorted the psu to conduct a test of one of my case fans with paper clip trick. Since my eyesight is so poor, I may have gotten the the leads wrong. I remember the fan burned out.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Are you saying, you just burned out a fan? or did that happen at a previous time? 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I burned a fan testing it with thepsu disconnecteded from the mobo.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Also there are 3 mobo leds near the ATX 12v 24 pin power connecter. Blue=Standby; Orange=Memory slot; Green=Power. Only Blue is illuminated. The power button is normally flashing red before turning on the system but now it doesn't flash.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I flashed a light onto the psu mobo. Appears several capacitors have corroded tops didn't notice any bulges. In order to make that detection I will have to open up the case.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

To test a PSU to see if it is not dead, I disconnect all lead to hardware, then connect one fan via the 12v 4 pin fan connector to a 12v 4 pin socket on the PSU, turn on the, because the PSU detects some load, the fan should start spinning.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I did as you suggested;plugged in the fan to the 4 pin molex connector on the psu. FAN WILL NOT SPIN!!

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
After shorting the green and black wires on the 24 pin power connector cable, the 12v fan spins up. So it doesn't appear to be a psu issue. That reduces it to the mobo or something else is at fault.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Holy Guacamole, Batman! After the fan start up with all other cabling disconnected, I decided to take a shot with the mobo one more time..
No memory, no video card but the led power button lights up and then the green led appears again. CPU fan is spinning this time! But I don't know how to install the onboard speaker to hear the error beeps yet. I'm too exhausted to continue the puttering anymore today. I'll get back on track tomorrow and provide you a thumbs report. Much appreciation for all the assistance thus far.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Inserted one ram stick and bios beeps are 2 quick pause followed by 7 quick. Post code hangs at 2E-initialize devices. Pressing F2 produces nothing. Should I next enter the bios and reset the memory to proper frequency or just select optimal default (F9)?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I am not saying this did happen, but possible.   If the PSU detects a short, or a short occurs, as when a fan goes kaput, one of the protection circuits is triggered, what resets the PSU, could be unplugging/plugging in, switching on off, with power/no power, don't know for sure.

the led power button lights up and then the green led appears again. CPU fan is spinning this time! But I don't know how to install the onboard speaker to hear the error beeps yet.

That's a good sign, the orange LED will only light when RAM is detected.   Can't find any mention of a system speaker on your board, looks like you have to see what is displayed on the Debug LED.

I would do your first test with one old stick of RAM in slot 1.   Then the keyboard plugged into a top/back USB, or a PS/2 one.   Try tapping F2 at boot, to load default setting.  

Then the GPU/monitor, see if you can check out the BIOS.

then only the Boot drive, if you can boot to the desktop. add the mouse, power off, add the Optical drive, 

Test the 1 stick of RAM that is installed, if OK, power off, add the second one into slot 3 and test again.

The storage/backup drive should be the last item added.

Good luck.

You are most welcome :thumbsup: