Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo toasted? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your post did not show before I posted.  AS you are hearing Beep Codes, have I got the wrong MB? http://www.evga.com/...132-LF-E655.pdf

Unfortunately there are no published error codes for what you are hearing.  The stop at 2E LED is no VGA device detected, it should change when you install the GPU.

Yep, try entering BIOS to load optimal Defaults.   Your RAM has been deteced.

Have you the keyboard plugged into the back of the case? When you Boot, do you see LEDS on the keyboard flash? 

Hope you get a good sleep.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
My mobo is 132-LF E657. I connected the monitor and entered bios where I loaded Optimal Default and saved that setting. The system made a screen request for a boot device to be inserted. All that's left now is to put everything back into the case and pretend this stuff never happened. I'm just lucky the ram slots didn't die. I was kinda thinking they might have to take a permanent vacation. Glad I was wrong. In the future I'll have to be far more cautious and exercise much better judgment.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good to hear you have made progress.

When you are up and running, advice running Memtest86+ to ensure no damage, > http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Please let us know if your system is now stable.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Not up and running. Mobo displays zip on the led readout panel. Orange and blue leds are blinking but power led is off. Clearing cmos result in no change. Scheduling PSU to be tested.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry to hear that result.   I know you must feeling  :smashcomp: , been there even on all brand new parts, deep breath, cup of coffee, kick something, not the cat though.

Do you get the same result without any RAM installed?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No ram or ram-either way, no boot up. I looked through the fans blades on psu and see at least 3 capacitors that have peculiar bluish residue on the tops. I think that they dead and is why the psu won't generate enough current to boot mobo. But can always be mistaken. Find out more tomorrow.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I've ordered a new 1kw psu. Will replace the bad caps on my present psu at a later date and use it to build a new system.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have done no work on PSUs, but do know they can still store a pretty high current after being unplugged, so go careful.

Been looking up, how to build a PSU load tester, almost nil.   Cheap testers are almost useless, a multimeter works just as well.   A real one, SunMoon, about $5.000, so will still be going to my local repair shop, even if they start charging me.

Look forward to better news in your next reply.  

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I went to the repair shop where the unit was tested. It proved to be within tolerances. 11.9 registered on the +12v rail. Wondering what else could be wrong. CPU, perhaps?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Reply #32

I connected the monitor and entered bios where I loaded Optimal Default and saved that setting. The system made a screen request for a boot device to be inserted. All that's left now is to put everything back into the case and pretend this stuff never happened. I'm just lucky the ram slots didn't die. I was kinda thinking they might have to take a permanent vacation. Glad I was wrong. In the future I'll have to be far more cautious and exercise much better judgment.

So at the above stage, you did not have a optical drive connected? but did have the  Boot drive connected?  

Reply #34

Not up and running. Mobo displays zip on the led readout panel. Orange and blue leds are blinking but power led is off. Clearing cmos result in no change. Scheduling PSU to be tested.

Was this power on done with everything back in the case and all connected? 

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No drives were connected because it was a breadboard set up.
I returned mobo and psu to the tower case with ram modules and optical cdrom and no boot nor did cpu fan spin up. Installed a new cmos battery as well. Now I'm considering mobo cap damage.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.  Boot with only the RAM installed, (no drives) then with the video card, (no monitor) then with the monitor. 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Copied your instructions but computer doesn't boot. PSU fan won't even spin when I flick the "ON" switch. It will spin up if I disconnect it from the mobo though.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Here's a strong clue it's the psu. Hooked up a 12v fan but it's a pulsating spin-slows down then speeds up indicating it doesn't receive steady power. I knew that blue-colored electrolyte on the caps had some kind of meaning.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you still have a PSU ordered, test with just the CPU, nothing else, post the result.