Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo toasted? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Yes, luck! I intend to convert the dual fan Cooler Master N520 to a hybrid cooler since the fans are a smallish 92mm at 49dba.. That'll be interesting, no?

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
What process is used to refurbish a cpu? I've ordered a new one because the present processor got so hot that the inked on logo liquified and I can barely read it after cleaning off the tim.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You can't repair the inner workings of a CPU, the best you can do is attempt repairs to pins on a AMD one.   Separate the top plate from the body, (decap) and replace thee inner thermal compound to get better overclocking performance. 

Even though you think your CPU is dead, I advise trying it on the MB.   

Installing a new CPU on the MB you have repaired may damage it as you can't be certain the board no other faults, apart from the bent pins.

I would cancel the CPU order, test the old CPU on the MB, if it fails, try to find the cheapest one compatible with the board, even second hand.

Should you need a new MB and a CPU, I would think really hard abut that, or would it be better to look for a more modern platform. 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I can't cancel the order but I can RMA it. Thanks for the mobo tip, though. I'll test it with the old cpu then maybe upgrade to a Z97 system.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

One more thing about the cpu. It was the victim of a lightning surge. The cpu shows 2 pin-sized holes on its surface. They aren't deep but they are there. The reason I ask is because the new cpu I bought was at a such a good discount that if I return it, I will never get that same price or the 20 year warranty again. So I should not return it unless there is a compelling reason. Now I don't know what to do. I wish someone could provide an accurate analysis of those 2 pin holes on the cpu-whether it's critical or not. Those craters weren't there originally. I've searched for any discussion on this topic on the web without success so I must be the only one facing this issue. Thanks so much.

Edited by khazarian, 19 September 2014 - 10:32 AM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Didn't notice any bent or broken pins on the cpu. Decided to install to the mobo correctly oriented this time. Attached cpu power cable and ATX 12v power cable-no other hardware except cpu fan assembly. Mobo leds are the bleu standby and ram controller.
Cannot start the system and no fans are able to run. Haven't tried a new psu yet. Will try that next.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Found a used cpu on ebay for $25. Just ordered it. Nothing on this mobo works because board won't power up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Had you mentioned anything about a lightning strike earyer, would have made a difference to how we did troubleshooting and advice.

I doubt anyone can tell you the effects of the damage you can see, I think unlikely to be actual electrical discharge as it would have to be vary large to punch holes in metal and the whole system would have been fried..

A test with the new PSU, then with the second hand CPU.   if no success I would cut your losses as I don't think you would find a matching new MB and not worth the risk with a second hand one, RMA the new CPU and look at building a new system.  

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
But if the system were fried, would the standby and ram leds still function? I would think they would be totally dead. But I'm taking a stab here.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I said, "I think unlikely to be actual electrical discharge" and "it would have to be vary large to punch holes in metal" and "the whole system would have been fried" meaning, black and smoking with such a large discharge.

You may have suffered an electrical surge that caused some damage to the MB and or CPU, enough to stop a successful Boot. 

Try testing with the new PSU when it arrives, then post back before going any further. 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Copy that. However, I have a fairly strong opinion it's the processor.
Tested new psu and still no change. Now waiting for the used processor from ebay.

Edited by khazarian, 20 September 2014 - 12:58 AM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
There could be some damages to the mobo socket. I took a pic of the presumed defective area that I will submit tomorrow in my next post.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally if you inserted the old cpu upside down in the old motherboard then powered it up and the motherboard is now showing socket damage, i wouldn't risk a new cpu in that old motherboard.

my best advice would be to write off both old cpu and motherboard and start again with new (to you anyway.) parts this time fully reading the manual that should come with the new motherboard.

don't skip anything, make sure you follow all the instructions step by step, not forgetting to take all the usual safety precautions (static etc.)

:popcorn:

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
That would be like resigning. I don't give up. Yeah, I made a mistake. So what? Nobody else ever made one of those. I have already bought a new cpu but keeping it on the sidelines. I bought a cheap used one on ebay that will arrive in a few days. I will attempt to bend the pins back into position on the mobo then see if it will fire. I don't want to end up throwing away the mobo if it's unnecessary.

Edited by khazarian, 21 September 2014 - 10:53 AM.