Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo toasted? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
When it arrives via UPS I will do just that.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Double blunder! Discovered to my chagrin that I had the cpu installed upside down! YIKES!!! So I might need a new one of those. However it nor the socket appeared burned or scorched. I'll know more when I can hook it up to the psu that's due to arrive in a few more days.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:oops:  I am surprised you got any response at all when you powered on.   Are there any bent pins in the socket?

Intel CPU installation video, > http://www.intel.com...b/CS-030860.htm

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Probably at least some bent pins. Haven't had a chance to verify anything yet but hoping nothing got broken off. Yeah, I forgot about that Intel video. UGH!

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I previously removed the heatsink push pins and used a LGA 775 backplate installation. I like that better-plus the cooler Intel 92mm 0.60A 4-pin connector made by Delta. If by some strange miracle the system runs again, I want to pick up a Cooler Master N520 cpu fan and never have to get involved with a cpu removal.

Edited by khazarian, 13 September 2014 - 07:48 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I have found what appear to be 2 bent pins on the mobo socket. I won't know for certain until I can get a magnifier on it. That'll be sometime tomorrow-doing nothing more tonight.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A couple of vieos that are not too bad, there are thousands, but most are pretty dreadful.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
The thing about repositioning the socket pins is that they are extremely FRAGILE making them highly prone to fracture. You must be very careful to avoid ruining the operation.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
A jewelers lens is needed for detail involved in straightening the 2 socket pins. Its' relatively cheap: $5 usually. Also require a steady hand and avoid overbending. That's how they break.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I think there is a possibility that I need a new cpu. If I use a different like AMD, can I still access the same hard drive OS with all the system files intact? My old cpu was the Intel i5 760 quad core.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The brand of CPU is not an issue but swapping the MB is, you will have to install the new MBs drivers and depending on the type of disk that you have (OEM or full retail) you may need to reactivate Windows with Microsoft and in a worse case scenario purchase a new Windows product key.

If I use a different like AMD, can I still access the same hard drive OS with all the system files intact? My old cpu was the Intel i5 760 quad core. 

Just to clarify, AMD and Intel CPUs are not compatible with their opposing brand of MB.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Have you reassembled the MB/CPU, applied fresh TIM, installed the cooler, connected the CPU fan, two main power cables, no RAM/monitor, then tested?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No. I've been unable to repair the socket pins because I'm still waiting for an LED loop from ebay. If I'm lucky the cpu is unharmed from my indiscrete adventures. I have ordered the Cooler Master Hyper N520 dual fan unit for $37 from TigerDirect.com. Hope I have the opportunity to use it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  Good luck.