Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer restarts itself

• Please log in to reply

jonnyad

jonnyad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Lets start from the beginning. I was actually kinda drunk one night and felt like installing my sound card. Well I forgot to turn off my computer before doing so and next thing I know...IT SPARKED!!! Then my computer automatically restarded itself after that has happened and has been like so ever since. It reboots on its own. It also started overheating. I bought a cooler for my processor and it seems to have done the job to keep consistancy in temperature.

What I have done so far is replaced my motherboard. Basical;l;y everything is good until my windows xp is fully updated. Than that is when the problems start to arrise. Actually I think maybe after service pack 2. I think it may be my video card but I am not totally sure. I have a radeon 9800 pro video card.

For example when it starts up...if I were to click on the start menu than I would see some black lines in certain places and when i put the mouse over it, they disappear. That kind of gave me a nudge about the video card. I have also sometimes ben receiveing a blue screen where it says dumping physical memory.

I formatted my computer several times but this problem is consistant. I Know your going to call me pretty much dumb because I left the computer on when installing my sound card...but it was an error of mine. I really need to know what to do. It is a custom built gamer machine and my father bought it for me for my birthday. I dont want to tell him that i messed it up or he will be pissed. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with this issue. Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here for the restarting

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;320299

Try here for the video card software

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27