Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SSHD + HDD in laptop, Win7 & linux OS

• Please log in to reply

xanthorea

xanthorea

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Hi GTG

I have just bought a seagate hybrid sshd 1000 gb for my acer laptop and a caddy to put the existing 500 gb hdd into the optical drive slot.

My intention is to have a dual boot system with win 7(current) and probably linux 17.

I am trying to become more adept at using linux , hence the dual boot.

I would appreciate any advice as to how to go about installing and partitioning my new drives.

Firstly I only really want win7 as a backup, when linux becomes a terminal drama, to be able to do my work computing.

Everything I need from my current setup is backed up onto an external hd, so all good there.

What I am asking for is an idea of the best way to go about setting this up.

1. Clone or clean install of win7.

2. Because of the ssd part of the new sshd, would it be better to have one os on each drive?, and if so which one.

3. Partitioning, I've seen it recommended to have a section which both os can access, files.

4. Order of actions, do I install win7 first and make sure the second drive is available and working, or can i do the whole installation of both in the first.

5. Some of the Q.'s random-

- if I have os on different hdd, do i need to clone the existing hdd or just move it to the optical drive?.

- if different os on each drive will i be wasting space on the one used least.

I will be gratefull for any advice.

Thanks

Advertisements

xanthorea

xanthorea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Its ok all sorted :).

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
You might have it sorted, but consider installing linux as a virtual machine. It's much easier as you keep your Win OS separate from your Linux OS. Anytime you no longer want Linux, you just delete the virtual drive that contains it.