I have just bought a seagate hybrid sshd 1000 gb for my acer laptop and a caddy to put the existing 500 gb hdd into the optical drive slot.
My intention is to have a dual boot system with win 7(current) and probably linux 17.
I am trying to become more adept at using linux , hence the dual boot.
I would appreciate any advice as to how to go about installing and partitioning my new drives.
Firstly I only really want win7 as a backup, when linux becomes a terminal drama, to be able to do my work computing.
Everything I need from my current setup is backed up onto an external hd, so all good there.
What I am asking for is an idea of the best way to go about setting this up.
1. Clone or clean install of win7.
2. Because of the ssd part of the new sshd, would it be better to have one os on each drive?, and if so which one.
3. Partitioning, I've seen it recommended to have a section which both os can access, files.
4. Order of actions, do I install win7 first and make sure the second drive is available and working, or can i do the whole installation of both in the first.
5. Some of the Q.'s random-
- if I have os on different hdd, do i need to clone the existing hdd or just move it to the optical drive?.
- if different os on each drive will i be wasting space on the one used least.
I will be gratefull for any advice.