Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 325 won't start

• Please log in to reply

Furax88

Furax88

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello, I have a compaq 325 laptop.
Since yesterday, when i try to start it, the fan just start spinning but stops immediately, the start button light remains bright, the screen doesn't show anything and the caps-lock button light flashes 5 times indicating there is a generic motherboard issue.
Can anyone help me identifying the problem?
Thanks to all for answers

Edited by Furax88, 03 September 2014 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

You should check this link to help you identify your problem but I think it might be a board issue.

http://h10025.www1.h...=en&dlc=en#N215

Hope that helps

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

You should check this link to help you identify your problem but I think it might be a board issue.

http://h10025.www1.h...=en&dlc=en#N215

Hope that helps

Thanks for reply, I already know that is a main board generic issue, but I wish to identify where the problem is...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hope you don't mind the interjection folks  :)

Furax88, is it possible that the fan is still running and that you cannot hear it, I ask as fans cannot always be heard to be running and it is only when the temps get a little warm the MBs thermal sensor detects it and the fan is given a boost which can be heard.

Try removing the AC adapter, the battery and the Ram, pressing down the main power button for 30 seconds or so, connect only the AC adapter and turn on the notebook, let us know if the behaviour of the notebook changes, any error beeps for example.

To help with removing the Ram please use the notebook service guide here this is one of the better notebook designs as when the service door is removed to remove the Ram you will also be able to check that the CPU plug is securely attached, how clean the fan is and if the fan is still working when you turn on the power to test, I have to say this, please do not reach inside the notebook while the power is connected to the notebook.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hope you don't mind the interjection folks  :)

Furax88, is it possible that the fan is still running and that you cannot hear it, I ask as fans cannot always be heard to be running and it is only when the temps get a little warm the MBs thermal sensor detects it and the fan is given a boost which can be heard.

Try removing the AC adapter, the battery and the Ram, pressing down the main power button for 30 seconds or so, connect only the AC adapter and turn on the notebook, let us know if the behaviour of the notebook changes, any error beeps for example.

To help with removing the Ram please use the notebook service guide here this is one of the better notebook designs as when the service door is removed to remove the Ram you will also be able to check that the CPU plug is securely attached, how clean the fan is and if the fan is still working when you turn on the power to test, I have to say this, please do not reach inside the notebook while the power is connected to the notebook.

Hi, the fan im sure its not working because i tryied with the pc opened, already tryied even both your solutions but didn't solved the problem.
Anyway the fan just start spinning but it stops after less than a scond, I even tested the fan out of the pc and it works.
I tryied to do a bios reset removing and replacing the bios battery and when i connected the pc to the power it started itself without pressing the start button and the fan worked without stopping, but the pc is still not working and if i try to start it again from the button it returns to the former problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

When the notebook was working correctly did it normally emit a single beep after successfully booting up.

I tryied to do a bios reset removing and replacing the bios battery and when i connected the pc to the power it started itself without pressing the start button and the fan worked without stopping, 

This sounds like a system short circuit but can I ask, was this with the CMOS battery removed, any error beeps with the Ram removed and had there been any hardware or software changes immediately before the issue happened for the first time.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

When the notebook was working correctly did it normally emit a single beep after successfully booting up.

I tryied to do a bios reset removing and replacing the bios battery and when i connected the pc to the power it started itself without pressing the start button and the fan worked without stopping,

This sounds like a system short circuit but can I ask, was this with the CMOS battery removed, any error beeps with the Ram removed and had there been any hardware or software changes immediately before the issue happened for the first time.

No, no beeps just the capslock flashes 5 times (general main board issue) and when the pc started itself was with the cmos battery in.
With or without the ram it does the same problem.
This problem appeared without previous signs and after I regularly turned off the pc.
No hardware/software changes were made before.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

But did the notebook previously emit a single beep once it had booted up.

If the answer is yes then it does not look good for the MB as it suggests that it has failed, the two things that can be at fault when a MB that normally emits a single beep does not beep with the Ram removed are the power supply and the MB, you have tried with the main battery removed and got no beeps so the one final check should be to try using only the notebook battery and no AC adapter and the Ram removed, if still no beeps then the MB is history I`m afraid  :(

NB: A common cause of failed notebook MBs is a shorted out DC jack port, is the one on your notebook secure (not loose/wobbly) and is the centre pin in it still present and not bent or loose.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

But did the notebook previously emit a single beep once it had booted up.

If the answer is yes then it does not look good for the MB as it suggests that it has failed, the two things that can be at fault when a MB that normally emits a single beep does not beep with the Ram removed are the power supply and the MB, you have tried with the main battery removed and got no beeps so the one final check should be to try using only the notebook battery and no AC adapter and the Ram removed, if still no beeps then the MB is history I`m afraid  :(

NB: A common cause of failed notebook MBs is a shorted out DC jack port, is the one on your notebook secure (not loose/wobbly) and is the centre pin in it still present and not bent or loose.

My pc never emits beeps at the boot, so I think it is a good sign that it doesn't beeps :) .
About the DC jack port it looks normal, with the pin perfectly centered, I even tryied to use the battery instead of the AC adapter but the problem is the same.
Do you think it could be a GPU problem?
When the cooling system is off isn't the CPU supposed to shut off the pc? If the answer is yes, is it possible that electricity doesn't reach the CPU but reaches all other components (hard disk, fan, dvd reader)?
Thanks for help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
My pc never emits beeps at the boot, so I think it is a good sign that it doesn't beeps xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png .

Not really I`m afraid as having a BIOS speaker is helpful when troubleshooting, error beep chart here

About the DC jack port it looks normal, with the pin perfectly centered, I even tryied to use the battery instead of the AC adapter but the problem is the same.

Acknowledged.

Quite possibly as the integrated video chip could have failed and this would be identified by the error LEDs as a system board failure.

When the cooling system is off isn't the CPU supposed to shut off the pc? 

If the system fan has failed the MBs thermal sensor will shut the computer down completely to protect the CPU from frying**, this can be turned off in the BIOS on many MBs which is rather crazy.

If the answer is yes, is it possible that electricity doesn't reach the CPU but reaches all other components (hard disk, fan, dvd reader)?

On a desktop PC yes but not on a notebook as all devices are directly powered from the same source through the MB.

Have you tried leaving the notebook running to see if the cooling fan does at any time activate.

** As a last resort and final test the heatsink can be removed from the top of the processor, the power turned on for a few seconds then shut down and the top of the CPU felt to see if it is warm/hot, if it is cold then it is either not getting power from the MB or the processor itself has failed.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My pc never emits beeps at the boot, so I think it is a good sign that it doesn't beeps [/size]xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png .[/size]

Not really I`m afraid as having a BIOS speaker is helpful when troubleshooting, error beep chart here

Acknowledged.

Quite possibly as the integrated video chip could have failed and this would be identified by the error LEDs as a system board failure.

When the cooling system is off isn't the CPU supposed to shut off the pc?

If the system fan has failed the MBs thermal sensor will shut the computer down completely to protect the CPU from frying**, this can be turned off in the BIOS on many MBs which is rather crazy.

If the answer is yes, is it possible that electricity doesn't reach the CPU but reaches all other components (hard disk, fan, dvd reader)?

On a desktop PC yes but not on a notebook as all devices are directly powered from the same source through the MB.

Have you tried leaving the notebook running to see if the cooling fan does at any time activate.

** As a last resort and final test the heatsink can be removed from the top of the processor, the power turned on for a few seconds then shut down and the top of the CPU felt to see if it is warm/hot, if it is cold then it is either not getting power from the MB or the processor itself has failed.

You are welcome btw  :)

I think haven't a Bios speaker, if its possible to add one I'll look for one.
Didn't tryied yet to leave the notebook on because I don't want to risk to burn the CPU, and I just tryied to touch the CPU after turning it on and its warm!!
Later I'll try to leave the laptop on to see if the fan starts.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I was going to try to leave it on to see if the fan starts, but the screen showed a message about the cmos battery removed and bios reset, then returned black.
Tryied to start it again but returned to the previous problem...then tryied to leave it on, but instead of starting the fan it just shut off when the cpu temperature is too high.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
After the shutoff the pc started regularly!!
But when I turned it off and on again it is doing the same problem :(
I'm really confused.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Now sometimes the notebook starts regularly but with the fan spinning at the maximum speed and the pc shuts off in few seconds.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Now it works only 1 time after a bios reset (removing the cmos battery and replacing it after a while), but maybe its just a coincidence and it works just 10% of times i try to start it.
:(