Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 325 won't start

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I just tryied to touch the CPU after turning it on and its warm!

Was this with the HS removed.

Try removing and then replacing the CMOS battery again then restart the notebook and attempt to access the BIOS, if successful look around the BIOS for the fan settings, post back with an update for us.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Advertisements

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I just tryied to touch the CPU after turning it on and its warm!

Was this with the HS removed.

Try removing and then replacing the CMOS battery again then restart the notebook and attempt to access the BIOS, if successful look around the BIOS for the fan settings, post back with an update for us.

Tip
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)
Thank you again for tips
The HS was removed and maybe I understood the problem :)
The notebook starts regularly just after i start it without the heat sink, this is due to the fact that the heat dilates the connections in the northbridge and this restores a loose contact; while it never starts if its cold because there is a broken contact in the northbridge.
If this is the real problem I will procede with an home-made reflow (a reballing would be too much expensive), so if you have any advice for an home-made reflow I'll be glad to hear it.
Thanks again for helping

Edited by Furax88, 07 September 2014 - 06:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Was the old thermal compound cleaned off the HS and CPU and then a fresh amount reapplied, if not this will be causing the processor to overheat, see guide here

Reflow and reballing are not something that I do or suggest that others do as the intense heat damages other components.

You are welcome btw  :)

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Was the old thermal compound cleaned off the HS and CPU and then a fresh amount reapplied, if not this will be causing the processor to overheat, see guide here

Reflow and reballing are not something that I do or suggest that others do as the intense heat damages other components.

You are welcome btw  :)

Yes, i removed and reapplied the thermal paste 2 times.
The fact is that the notebook won't start if the northbridge isn't warm, i discovered it by turning on the notebook with the heat sink removed, so that the northbridge/gpu reaches an high temperature.
This suggests to me that some connections are broken in the northbridge.
I don't want to do a reflow too, but if it is the only solution...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry but I think you will find that it is only a coincidence and powering up the notebook without the HS in place will be damaging the CPU, inspect the MB around the area where the HS comes into contact with the MB, any signs of damage, in case you do not already know, an incorrectly mounted HS can apply uneven pressure to the CPU and this can not only cause overheating but also other abnormal behaviour from the processor itself.

Once the HS has been replaced can you keep trying to get into the BIOS to check the fan settings.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Sorry but I think you will find that it is only a coincidence and powering up the notebook without the HS in place will be damaging the CPU, inspect the MB around the area where the HS comes into contact with the MB, any signs of damage, in case you do not already know, an incorrectly mounted HS can apply uneven pressure to the CPU and this can not only cause overheating but also other abnormal behaviour from the processor itself.

Once the HS has been replaced can you keep trying to get into the BIOS to check the fan settings.

The motherboard has no signs of damages.
Later I will try to heat the northbridge and start the laptop, if it will not start at the first attempt that means I was wrong and it was just a coincidence.
Anyway with or without the heatsink there is not much difference if the fan doesn't spin: without HS it shut off in seconds, with HS it shut off in minutes.
If i will be able to start the notebook I'll post here my BIOS fan settings.

Edited by Furax88, 07 September 2014 - 08:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If the NB is involved in this it must be triggering one of the MBs thermal sensors. 

Another thing that can happen when things get warm is the MB expanding and if there is a break in a soldered circuit the electrical flow can be lost when the board does expand, this is not very common and tends only to happen due to physical force being applied when installing the HS or memory modules/add on cards in the case of desktop MBs.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

If the NB is involved in this it must be triggering one of the MBs thermal sensors. 

Another thing that can happen when things get warm is the MB expanding and if there is a break in a soldered circuit the electrical flow can be lost when the board does expand, this is not very common and tends only to happen due to physical force being applied when installing the HS or memory modules/add on cards in the case of desktop MBs.

I tryied to heat it (by turning on the laptop and leaving it on even if the fan wasn't spinning for a minute, then I turned it off by holding the start button for some seconds) and when i pressed the start button again it turned on regularly.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but when I tryied to start it without heating, it never turned on.

I still didn't cheched the BIOS because I don't remember which is the related key.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can I ask what you mean by it turned on regularly.

• Press F10 while the cursor in the top right corner of the screen is blinking.
  • Older Compaq computers may use the F1F2F10, or Del key to give access to BIOS.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Can I ask what you mean by it turned on regularly.

• Press F10 while the cursor in the top right corner of the screen is blinking.
  • Older Compaq computers may use the F1, F2, F10, or Del key to give access to BIOS.

I mean that the notebook starts like before the problem
About the fan settings there is only the checked option "fan always on with the AC adapter"

Edited by Furax88, 07 September 2014 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Which means that the problem may not in fact be with the MB itself but something that is attached to it, can you inspect the power switch board and button please, are they both securely connected and undamaged, see page 76 of the user manual here

Fan information acknowledged and the setting is fine.

When the computer next boots up successfully please leave it running and see how it behaves, this assuming that the HS has been replaced of course.

NB: No need to quote every reply btw as it is not necessary  ;) 

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry for all the quotes :)
If I leave the laptop running it works, but not as before the problem begin...probably because when I placed the HS the last time I didn't changed the thermal paste, so if I run heavy programs the fan raise its speed to the maximum level.
About the power switch board and button I just noticed that I forgot the screw :) but both looks to be fine, I just found some dificulties to align the ribbon cable inside the zif connector (it was entering more on one side than the other).
Thanks again
I hope the bill will not be too expensive at the end ;)

Edited by Furax88, 07 September 2014 - 12:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem, less reading = less work  :)

It is most important that the notebook is assembled as it should be and that the CPU and HS are correctly cleaned off and fresh thermal paste applied or the problems will definitely persist and in fact get worse, a screw not being in place for example can allow things to move and cause short circuits which can ruin the MB and other hardware.

I hope the bill will not be too expensive at the end xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png 

:lol:

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I dont know if this information will be useful, but if I leave the laptop turned on with the fan not spinning, it shuts off after few minutes, but just before it hapens the fan starts spinning at the maximum speed.
Anyway you were right...the fact that the notebook boots normally its not connected to the heat :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It would appear that the thermal sensor is working but the temps are still too high and the notebook is being shut down to protect the CPU, have the CPU/HS been cleaned and fresh thermal paste applied and have you managed to secure the power board.

NB: It is most important that the correct screws are returned to the right location, the wrong screw being used can also short out a MB.