Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 325 won't start

• Please log in to reply

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

What do you mean with "secure the power board"?
The CPU reaches high temperature because the fan is not working, the rare cases the laptop turns on correctly the fan spin all the time (it just change the speed) as set from bios.
I'm going to disassemble and reassemble all the notebook to check all the components and replacin all the screws in the right place.
Anyway this problem appeared "out of the blue", so I don't think its a screw problem.
Hope I can repair it today or I will buy a new one.

Heresome pictures of the components...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140908_207.JPG
  • 20140908_208.JPG
  • 20140908_209.JPG
  • 20140908_210.JPG
  • 20140908_212.JPG
  • 20140908_199.JPG
  • 20140908_202.JPG
  • 20140908_203.JPG
  • 20140908_204.JPG

Edited by Furax88, 08 September 2014 - 07:02 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

What do you mean with "secure the power board"?

From your reply #27

About the power switch board and button I just noticed that I forgot the screw :)

Anyway this problem appeared "out of the blue", so I don't think its a screw problem.

I would have to agree.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes, sorry, I though I forgot a screw, the powerboard is just a little different from the one showed in the manual instead and it doesn't have a screw (you can notice it in the 6th picture).
Anyway the notebook is fully disassembled, do you have any suggestion or test to check where the problem is?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Where notebook MBs are concerned unless damage is obvious it is hard to identify where things are going wrong, your CPU and GPU appear fine so I suggest that you again take a close look at the power switch and board.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Do you think it is possible that there is something wrong in the joint at the base of the screen, so the notebook enters in hibernation mode at the startup?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Do you think it is possible that there is something wrong in the joint at the base of the screen, so the notebook enters in hibernation mode at the startup?

I would not even hazard a guess at the above, can I ask what has made you consider this possibility.

Have you taken a closer look at the power button board, it is worth considering asking a local tech or tech store to test the power button board for you, some will do it for free and some may charge a small fee.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I would not even hazard a guess at the above, can I ask what has made you consider this possibility.
I found on the web someone who had a similar problem with a different notebook, it was due to something wrong in a cable at the base of the screen, so he solved opening the laptop at a wider angle.
Anyway the difference is that my laptop indicates a motherboard issue by flashing capslock five times.
In my country noone do things for free, it will be even hard to find a tech store where someon could test a power button board.
The only way they know to solve the problem is to change the motherboard...I know that for past personal experience.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

That would be the MB to display video cable/ribbon which would only result in a black screen and not a complete shut down such as what you are experiencing, it is as if your computer is being turned off by the power button, unfortunately the symptoms for a system short can be the same, when the computer does boot into Windows after an earlier sudden shut down do you get an onscreen message such as "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" etc

If it is the power button board that is faulty the MB should not need replacing unless that is also faulty.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The times I was able to turn on the notebook this message wasn'shown, anyway since about a week before the problem appeared there was always the same message at the windows startup about something I don't remember, it was in a window and after closing it another window was appearing where I was able to set something but never did it, just closed it and then the windows bar and icons was appearing.
As soon as I find what that message was about I will let you know.
Anyway...what makes you thinking that the problem is in the power button board?

Edited by Furax88, 10 September 2014 - 12:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I am only saying that the power button board should be closely looked at and for the following reason, the computer is turned on by the power switch button which can also turn it off  + the power button is a part of the power board etc, it may still be a short circuit but they are harder to find so ruling out a bad power board/button should be done first.

Advertisements

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, thankyou.
I've just found the schematics
http://www.informati...01 rev.a01).pdf
I'm going to test the power button with a multimeter (page 46).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and keep us posted  :thumbsup:

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi again, there is a user on this forum which has my same problem, he contacted me and told me that:
"i had been to local technician and they ppl told its caz of failed power ic, i had repaired it twice but again it burns and when i visited hp service center they told its the voltage fluctuations which making this prblm, i am not a familiar with circuits so i don't know who is right"
Do you know what that means?
Do you think that the problem could be in the ethernet isolation transformer?

Edited by Furax88, 22 September 2014 - 11:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello again Furax88,

Honest answer is that I couldn't even hazard a guess as to what the problem could be without having the board in front of me to test, notebook circuitry issues are notoriously difficult to pinpoint and that is why they are so expensive to have repaired, so expensive in fact that it is often more cost effective to replace the MB.

Furax88

Furax88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I was trying to test some components on the motherboard, when I found that the ethernet isolation transformer was not conducing current...I don't know if it is normal.
More than replacing the motherboard I think it's better to get a new notebook ;) , thankyou anyway for the help.
If I will solve this problem I'll let you know