Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting problems

• Please log in to reply

dimkin

dimkin

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello. I've got two hard drives: C and D
At the moment I've got my Windows installed on D drive.
What I want to do is

format my C drive(NFTS);
put all the files I need from my D drive to C;
format my D drive(NFTS);
Install new WinXP on my D.

Where do i start from?
I went to Computer manager window and tried to format my C drive, but its unavailable

THANKS!!

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to GO! :tazz:

Please read the articles in HERE.

For Win XP it needs to have a NTFS file format partitions. For additional infos read HERE.

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks for the links. the second one is really useful, but not the first one, in my case.

I want to actually format both of the drives and install completely new Windows.
My computer has a lot of rubbish in it, including possible trojans, adware and all that stuff..

My main concern is how to format my C drive (not the drive with Windows)

This option

How to format a basic volume
To format a partition, logical drive or basic volume: 1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
2. In the Format dialog box, type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
3. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.
4. Click OK.
5. Click OK when you are prompted to format the volume. The format process starts.

doesnt work for me

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Ok here are my suggestions:
You had two harddrives at hand, let us call the first drive as the C Drive and the other D Drive. (This is not universal lets just put labels so not to confused ;) )
  • Fist set and connect your C Drive as primary disk from the IDE cable, then your D Drive as slave disk.
  • With a startup disk or bootdisk, load it and format your C Drive.
    Note: You can configure your device boot sequence from the BIOS:
    First device boot: floppy
    Second device boot: CD-ROM
    Third device boot: HDD-0
  • Now after the format is successful, you may want to install a new OS to your C Drive on your own choice if you wish to do the transferring of files(D Drive >> C Drive) in a windows based, however if you do not wish to install any new OS on C Drive you have the options to transfer your files through DOS Prompt then. I strongly recommend you install a new OS.
  • After you have transferred all files from D Drive to C Drive, let us now swap the IDE cables. Let D Drive be your primary disk and your C Drive be your slave disk.
  • same procedure, do the format on the D Drive, install New OS, install necessary drivers, install legitimate system protections, install favorite programs then ENJOY! :tazz:

If you are in doubt with regards to the drive you wish to format, I recommend that you connect them one at a time, then do the formatting one at a time also.

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I do not understand , it got too confusing.

Does it mean that I'm gonna have to open up the computer?

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Have a look here Cyberwalker
Read through the tutorials on this site before doing anything.
You say you have two hard drives, what size are they ?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
I apologize if my statements were too confusing. On the first place if you had two(2) actual harddrives, the answer is YES you had to actually open up your computer, need to set the correct jumpers settings in both harddrives (Master/Primary disk and Slave disk). These two harddrives must be set to proper connections in order for the system to determine which of the two will have to boot up.

How to format a basic volume
To format a partition, logical drive or basic volume: 1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
2. In the Format dialog box, type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
3. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.
4. Click OK.
5. Click OK when you are prompted to format the volume. The format process starts.

When you try this, on what drive did you actually boot up and followed this instructions? You cannot actually format a drive in which you are using it at the very moment. You need a Win XP installer or startup disk, or bootup disk to do a format.

Read here: #1, #2, #3

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Les1451, Ok, thanks, I ll have a look at that.
C drive is 32GB and D is 111GB. And also I think C is slower, so I want to have my OC installed on D

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
kool808

Oh, thats getting too hard! But how would I know which jumper is which? I havnt opened up a computer in a very very long time..

I got my D drive installed only recently and sicne I already had my WinXP on C drive, I guess the guy who installed the hard drive, he made it as slave.

But then I installed my WinXP on it. But the C drive would still be Primary, even though there is nothing on it? I deleted a lot of stuff from there, including system files.

I've read this one
http://www.cyberwalk...at-NTFS-XP.html

And what if I try that way? Or I still will have to physically make the C drive(the one I want to format, without reinstalling windows on it) as a slave drive?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
ok I see... now that make sense. Since the tech guy had installed your recent OS on your C Drive that means the C Drive is your MASTER/PRIMARY. Therefore your D Drive is your SLAVE, yes you can format and install OS on your D Drive however it would not boot up since it was made as SLAVE. Only the MASTER drive can boot up an OS.

Jumper settings: When you open up your PC and take a look on both harddrives you will be able to see at its back a set of eight(8) pins. Now there will be a label on your harddisk showing how and where you would place your jumper settings.

The options will be CABLE SELECT, MASTER, SLAVE, I forgot the other one. Put the jumper according to the labels, drawings are provided on it so you will not be confused.

On the IDE cables there are also labels on them at both ends (MASTER and SLAVE).

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Read here:
Install 2nd Hard drive

Installing Hard drives

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for all info and patience, but I still dont get it! And I think
you misunderstood me in one bit.
To make everything clear, I ll describe the situation again.

I already had WinXP installed on my C drive. So when the dude was
connecting the hard drive, Im guessing he made it slave.
But when I took it back home I installed new WinXp on my new hard

drive(D) and it works now.

So to summarise it, Even though my D drive is set as slave, thats where
the OS is. IS it normal?

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm gonna look at the links now.
And what exactly do you mean by "boot-up"?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
You are welcome, I am glad to help you.

If were able to install Win XP on your D Drive then it went fine starting up the Windows normally, that means that your D Drive is your Master/Primary disk. So not to confused what volume labels did you gave to respective drives?

C Drive - <label 1>; 32GB
D Drive - <label 2>; 111GB

dimkin

dimkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Volume labels - whats that?

But yes thats right,
C drive = 32GB
D drive = 111GB