Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing hard drive component

• Please log in to reply

jgeek18

jgeek18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey geeks and nerds,

Hopefully someone might be able to offer advice on idea im having. I currently own a segate wireless plus 1tb hd. It's nearly full. Can I get a bigger hd and swap over into the segate wireless plus hd shell without issues as I would love to have everything on same hd.

Talk later,

jgeek18

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Basically yes is the answer, the important thing is to get a good quality drive. Seagate is a sort of middle of the road make, in fact some say poor, however it is up to you which make you buy.

The next question has to be how do you intend putting the content of the existing drive on to the new drive?

Considering the original is a 1TB and nearly full, where are you going to put it all to then transfer it to the new and bigger drive? You have only one case and no doubt no room on the computer!

Once you have thought about that it might actually be a better idea to buy a complete new other external drive so you have two, rather than the work of shifting stuff off the old, to somewhere else so it can then be put on to the new and bigger drive.

Nev.

jgeek18

jgeek18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply Nev,

I am wanting a 2-4 tb had small enough to fit in a portable case she'll originally in seagate wireless plus.

Would you also know where a cheap place would sell tb this large without going through a retail seller as they will rob you blind!

jgeek18