Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSOD and Black screen in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thanks again Jared44 & Lammykyl.  Looks like I'll be needing to replace all RAM, the fan and possibly the power supply. I suppose it's possible the CPU is also shot. Have to weigh all that against the cost of a replacement machine (about $750 currently for the newer XPS 8700).

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think it is worth trying the fan replacement, then see what results from another RAM test, one stick at a time.

You are gaining some hands on skills, so we may be able to twist your arm and help you build your own rig.

You are welcome.  :rockon:

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks so much. I'll order the fan today.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: + the cleaning solutions.   We will give some tips for doing the job later.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Update: I contacted Dell to make sure I'm ordering the correct RAM.  Wound up getting talked into purchasing a replacement fan from them, as well.  Only ten bucks, and she said it comes in a kit with the necessary compound.  Also, I'm replacing my 4 sticks of 2GB with 2 sticks of 4.  If all goes well and I can get back in business. I can always add more RAM.

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

That's good news, any other issues don't hesitate to post back.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, good news/move.

You will still need a proper fluid to clean the top of the CPU.   All traces of the old TIM need to be removed. 

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

I may have misunderstood.  The new fan comes, I was told, with the thermal stuff.  If I still will need a separate cleaner, can you recommend one, please?  Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You might like to check again with Dell, but I don't think their will come with a cleaner, just the heatsinkk/fan and TIM, eather in a small tube or pre applied to the heatsink plate.

This cleaning kit > http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_pc_0

or, http://www.amazon.co...60WRYV1XEPHJJ0A

Edit.

just noticed only free shipping with orders over certain amounts.

You may be able to buy it locally or, buy a small amount of 99% pure Isotropy alcohol, that is what I use, bought from a local chemist shop. 

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thank you.  I just placed the order.  More nervous about the fan replacement than the RAM, although it looks like I'll have to remove the video card to get to be able to remove the old RAM and replace it.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Looking at the pics, I am sure you will be able to install new RAM without having to remove the Video card.   See your manual for visuals and I have given steps below.  Disconnect external hardware, lay the computer down for working on it.  connect the PSU, run the system for about 1 minuet.(this will soften the TIM making it less sticky), Power off and disconnect the PSU then > 

1. Follow the procedures in Before You Begin. (that means taking anti static measures and disconnecting from the power source.)
2. Remove the computer cover  already done. 
3. Disconnect the processor fan cable from the system board connector (see System Board Components). 
4. Place the flat-blade screwdriver in the slot and rotate the four fastner caps in anticlockwise direction to unlock the processor heat sink assembly. 
5. Hold the centre of the fan down with a couple of fingers to prevent it lifting at next step.
6. Lift the four fastner caps to release the processor heat sink assembly from the system board.
7. Gently lift the whole heatsink assemble upwards, if it feels as though it is stuck, slightly wiggle it side to side and lift upwards.
Do not open the CPU retention cover.
Use some cotton buds to clean of the old TIM from the CPU top.   Be careful not to use to much fluid at one time and flood the socket.   Work from an outside edge towards the middle.  Please read the instructions as well.
Do later. Now would be the time to change the RAM.   Remove the stick closest to the CPU, use a marker pen, (1).   install one stick of new RAM into that empty slot.   Repeat for the other stick, mark it (2).
Installing the new heatsink.  Read the instructions and post if you have any questions.
Check if TIM already pre applied or follow instruction if you have to do it.
1. If required, rotate the fastner caps on the processor heat sink assembly clockwise to ensure that they are in lock position. 
2. Orientate the assemble so the fan plug is in the correct position.
3. Align the four fastening pins with the holes on the MB, lower into place,
4. Hold the centre of the fan down with a couple of ringers, keep the pressure on until all four locking pins are engaged. 
5. Push down on one fastner cap, (you will hear it click)   Push down the fastner cap on the opposite corner, then the other two, 
6. Connect the fan plug to the MB CPU fan header.
Check over the wiring to make sure none have come lose.
Reconnect external hardware/PSU.   Test. 

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thank you so much, iammykyl, for the step-by-step instructions.  One question: when you say disconnect the PSU, do you mean just unplug the power cord, or disconnect it from inside the computer?  I'm also going to check youtube to see if there is a video on this.

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

He means unplug the power cord from the PSU.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thanks for the clarification, jared.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

The heat must be reduced before any conclusion can be made. Memtest should be performed only after temp goes down to normal.

If you leave the box open and the CPU gets too hot even when all fans are running (assuming air inlets and cpu heatsink are clean), then the problem cannot be attributed to lack of ventilation. 

You mentioned that the graphics card is too hot to touch. That is certainly not as it should be. Do you have another graphic card in your computer ? (in other words, do you have another connector on your PC for which you can connect the cable that goes to your monitor?), If the answer is yes, please take out the hot graphic card, connect to the other one, run the computer and see what happens. 

A faulty PSU is an option. If your computer will allow that in it's present state , please install and run SpeedFan or one of the many other programs that give you information about voltages supplied by you PSU. Please inform the results.