Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install software and device manager will not open.

device manager installation fail system files missing

• Please log in to reply

dellaseren

dellaseren

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi there,

Thanks for reading! Although I'm not computer illiterate, for some reason I just cannot get to grips with my laptop at the moment, and since having my son I don't have the same time I had previously, to learn! 

The first issue that I noticed, was when I turned on the laptop, an error message came up about MSE and how a file was missing and possibly the access was denied or something. I ignored it at first, but then I tried to install a few programs and nothing is installing fully. To be a bit more specific, if all that is too vague... What I'm really trying to install at the moment is just the software for my new keyboard. When I attempt to install the software, it seems to complete. As soon as I click "finish" however, it comes up with the error message that I have attached as a screen grab. 

If it helps point towards the problem, I just went to change my desktop picture (I figured you guys might end up seeing my desktop via screengrabs etc, so thought I'd change it to something cool... Right clicked on desktop, click "personalise".. nothing happened. Right click-Screenresolution - error message #2 and then #3, both of which I have also attached. I think I must be missing some important system files :( 

I'd really appreciate it if there is a way to repair my system without formatting everything... I'm not able to back anything up where I am at the moment, and honestly, if the only way is to delete everything, I'll probably rather leave it broken and have to wait till I can afford a new laptop. 

Anyway, thanks for reading!! Anything you need from me, let me know. 

Lucy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-09-06_195254.png
  • 2014-09-06_195304.png
  • 2014-09-06_195309.png

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Dellaseren,

Are you upgrading to a newer version of Intellitype?

Seems like there might be a version on there already and it is telling you, you need to remove older one first, before installing this version.

Go to Programs and features and try uninstall it and install it again. Do you have a different kind of uninstaller program you can use instead, like Revo Uninstaller which will do a better job removing all files?

For the missing files in system, first suggest to try Scan Disk. At an elevated Command Prompt type this exactly as shown,  sfc /scannow. You can copy paste it into the command prompt from here.

Let it run see if it fixes the issue.

If not, do you have a Windows 7 Operating disk ? Assume this is Windows 7.

Edited by jds63, 06 September 2014 - 04:09 PM.