Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent BSOD - Suspected Malware [Solved]

BSOD Malware Godawgs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

How is your issue now? You mentioned the following.

I'm suffering from a www.myfriendhdplayer.com redirect in all my browsers! Help!

If this still happens, can you provide a little more detail on exactly when it happens?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I'm using a site blocking extension for Firefox and I'm afraid to disable it to test to see if the redirect is still there...

... but here goes.

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

So I disabled my block site extension and it seems the redirecting thing is gone for now. Hopefully it stays away, thanks for the help!

And no BSODs or Explorer fails so far.

Edited by Daniel Christmas Lee, 03 October 2014 - 11:33 PM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK! Well done, your computer is clean again!

1. Clean Up!
We need to remove all the tools that we used so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions which may have updated detection logic.

Download Delfix from here.

• Ensure Everything is checked.
  • Click Run.

Note: The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply.

2. Windows Updates
Another essential task is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats. Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vulnerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically. Follow the instructions below to ensure your settings are optimal.

1. Click the Start Orb in the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Type Windows Update in the search box that appears
3. Click on the Windows Update program that appears in the search results.
Windows%20Update.JPG

4. Click on Change Settings.
CheckForUpdates.JPG

5. Select "Install updates automatically (recommended)" from the Important updates drop-down.
WUChangeSettings.JPG

6. Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet. The default is 3:00AM every day.
7. Ensure that all of the other check boxes are checked.
8. Click OK.

3. Keeping Programs Updated
You need to ensure that any programs installed on your machine are kept current. The bad guys exploit vulnerabilities that are found in older versions of software. A very good piece of software that keeps your programs up-to-date is Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI). You can download and install it from here. You can read more information about this free software as well as a video walkthrough from here.

Another alternative and popular software program for keeping your programs current is FileHippo Update Checker. Some people prefer this one.

1. Please download FileHippo update checker from here and save to your desktop.
2. Double-click the FHSetup.exe file that was downloaded and accept all the defaults to install the program.
3. The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases. Once updates are found you will see information
    from your task bar as follows. If you click on this informational message you will be take to a website showing the programs that you have that are outdated and links will be provided to the updates.
Capture.JPG

4. Keeping Java Updated
WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java. You can read more about this here.

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software. If you need it or are unsure or uncomfortable with removing it then I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it and then enable it at that time. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser). If you don't uninstall it, it's also important that you follow the directions below to update to the latest version of Java.

1. Go to this page to download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment JRE 7 Update 67.
2. When you click this link you will need to click the "Accept License Agreement" radio button and then click on the "Windows x86 Offline" installer link. You will notice that there is also a Windows x64 link option, however even if you are using a 64-bit operating system, it's very likely you aren't running a 64-bit browser and should only download the "Windows x86 Offline" installer. To determine if you are using a 64-bit browser you can follow http://www.java.com/...4bit.xml#verify">these
instructions. If you find that you ARE using a 64-bit browser then you can download the "Windows x64" one.
Java.JPG

3. Once you click on the appropriate link, please download this to your Desktop like we have with all of our tools.
4. Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
5. Now we need to uninstall all versions of Java that are currently on your machine before we install the newest version. Go to Add/Remove programs (instructions are here) and uninstall any item that appears in the list that has the following as part of the name: Java 7 Update 60 or Java Auto Updater.
6. Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
7. Then from your desktop, right click on the file that was downloaded (jre-7u67-windows-i586.exe or jre-7u67-windows-x64.exe) and select Run as an Administrator to install the latest version. Accept all the defaults and you're good to go.

Note: Java has been notorious for installing foistware (software downloaded without the users knowledge). If you follow the instructions I provided no foistware will be installed but that doesn't mean it won't in the future. While performing the install of this software or any software for that matter, pay attention to each screen and ensure you uncheck any extra software that you don't want installed (i.e. Ask Toolbar, Chrome Browser, etc.).

5. Antivirus - Preventative

Note: As you already mentioned, let's keep Malwarebytes installed as it's a fantastic piece of software. Malwarebytes is not actively monitoring your machine so it won't conflict with the Antivirus that you decide to install. I would recommend that you open up this program, allow it to update and scan your machine at least quarterly...monthly if you can.

Items for your next post.
1. Contents of the Delfix log.

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Just experienced a Windows Explorer has stopped working. No more redirect. But I am afraid. Please stand by.

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

And if I forget, I had MBAM installed so that's mine do not delete. On top of that I'm a power user.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

At this point you are clear of any malware. I suggest you open up a new post in the Windows 7 forum where there are experts with more knowledge on the hardware/software. You can reference this post so that whoever helps you can have a little history on what has been done.

Please be sure to run the Clean Up from my last post so that the tools we used are cleaned up. Thank you and stay safe.

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Brian! Something is trying to force a shutdown. I also noticed my Startup program list has been cut short which is a good thing however, there is this one unchecked thank goodness program called DesktopVideoPlayer.

I believe that is the culprit for everything! Please help again! Thanks!

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Hi Daniel -

I still suggest you open up a new post in the Windows 7 forum and reference this post. If the techs feel that you need to come back here they will let you know. Thank you.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements