Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Ram !

• Please log in to reply

danil0

danil0

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello geeks, I have a quesion for pc experts.

I just changed my motherboard to "B85M-HD3 Gigabyte" and I left the same hard disks and GPU.

The Ram slots was 2 so I bought one Ddr3 dimm at 4GB and now I just add one more ddr3 8GB Ram.

Why I connot see any deference on PC speed? Is that correct? Should I take off the 4 GB Ram?

They both running at 1600MHZ.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   danil0

Bit of a long winded explanation but here goes, the Ram will still only operate at 1600MHz the same as before but by adding more memory your computer will be able to run more games/applications at the same time without any drop in performance (this in the case of a 64-bit OS).

As an asides, to avoid stability issues Ram should be fitted/upgraded in matching pairs and the average user will not need or use any more than 8GB of Ram even for the latest games, anything over 8GB is overkill.

Is your OS 64-bit and does it recognise that you have 12GB of Ram fitted.

danil0

danil0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

:welcome:   danil0

Bit of a long winded explanation but here goes, the Ram will still only operate at 1600MHz the same as before but by adding more memory your computer will be able to run more games/applications at the same time without any drop in performance.

As an asides, to avoid stability issues Ram should be fitted/upgraded in matching pairs and the average user will not need or use any more than 8GB of Ram even for the latest games, anything over 8GB is overkill.

Is your OS 64-bit and does it recognise that you have 12GB of Ram fitted.

Yes it recognise that I have 12GB ram and my system is 32Bit Windows 7

..but the fact that it was very disapointing was the performanse Level that remain the same 5,5 (see attached)!! 

speed.jpg

and the second think that it was very disapointing also was the task manager ... please see attached TASKS.jpg

With photoshop outllook and 2, 3 other not heavy progs open the Ram use was 68% !!!!

What should I do?

Attached Thumbnails

• speed.jpg
  • TASKS.jpg

Edited by danil0, 07 September 2014 - 11:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Yes it recognise that I have 12GB ram and my system is 32Bit Windows 7

No Windows 32-bit OS is capable of utilizing any more than 4GB (3.75G) of Ram, it`s presence may be detected but it cannot be used, see here for W7 memory limits. 

What you should do if your system will allow it is upgrade to a 64-bit OS.