Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not reading full memory

• Please log in to reply

Iceendz

Iceendz

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I Have an old pc with 166mhz processor with windows 98 installed. I wanted to add a 512 stick I had in the memory but when i added it next to the 128 stick it only reads as 312mb all together and windows wouldnt load. When I put the 512 stick in alone it boots up just fine and seems better but it says it only has 256mb of memory. Is there a way i can get it to read the full 512 or the full 512 + 128?

Both sticks are pc100. Ones a 512mb and the other is 128mb.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Probably not without a MAJOR BIOS upgrade and even then it would be doubtful..

If you know the make and model of the system or the motherboard, just go to the manufacturers website and get the tech specs for it..

Odds are each ram slot is only able to read a max of 256megs of ram!!

Murray

Iceendz

Iceendz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im not sure what kind of motherboard is in this pc. It seems to run pretty smooth and at decent speed. Should the motherboard type or information or anything be labeled anywhere on itself?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yep.. should be!!

Murray