Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow startup with unclear cause

slow startup Windows 7 Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply

dusty_archivist

dusty_archivist

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi There,

I'm hoping for some help with my Windows 7 laptop, which over the past few weeks has become very slow to start up.

I am using a Win 7 64-bit, SP1 Hewlett-Packard Pavilion m7 with an i7 @2.30 GHz and 8 GB of RAM.

I have uninstalled a large number of programs, disabled all unnecessary startup programs using msconfig, defragmented all drives, done malware scans, and deleted temporary files in the registry using CCleaner, with no luck.

Based on the instructions on this post, I have looked at my event logs and each time I start my computer, a different warning or error pops up on the logs.  Most are Error ID 101 or 103, but from a different programs each time, including wininit.exe, winlogon.exe, explorer.exe, and plugplay.exe.  I have attached the log.

At first I suspected avast! free antivirus was causing the slowdown, but I'm not sure now.

I don't know where to go at this point, and it's becoming quite frustrating, so any help is appreciated!

PS: I had a BSOD issue a few months ago that was resolved on GeekstoGo, find that forum post here.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, I have seen other reports of a recent Avast update causing problems so you just might be correct. The only way to be sure of that is to disable Avast and see how quickly it boots up, best to do that off line if possible, however providing you don't open a browser and actually surf on line you hopefully will be protected by the hardware firewall in your router if you don't run the computer for long.

Nev.

dusty_archivist

dusty_archivist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Disabling avast! did not speed up the startup process.  I did this with my wireless turned off as well.

dougphillip

dougphillip

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey,

I had a similar problem before. Using CCleaner was a good idea but there's a few better programs out there - have a look at the ones listed here: http://www.thetechad...timise-your-pc/

I also use Avast and it shouldn't be slowing things down.

Good luck

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, now I have had a chance to look through the event logs, most of the slow loading is windows itself.

Once it has fully booted and stabilised a run of the system file checker might turn up something if perhaps there are any corrupt system files.

Do you know how to run the sfc /scannow? There is a helpful G2G guide here :-

http://www.geekstogo...indows-7-vista/

Let us know if it turns up or reports any problems.

Nev.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Hey,

I had a similar problem before. Using CCleaner was a good idea but there's a few better programs out there - have a look at the ones listed here: http://www.thetechad...timise-your-pc/

I also use Avast and it shouldn't be slowing things down.

Good luck

You'll need it. We certainly do not recommend registry cleaners - we spend half our time here fixing the damage they cause.

dusty_archivist

dusty_archivist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

What should I use instead of CCleaner?  I certainly don't want to cause any registry issues.  I also have Revo Uninstaller, is that okay?

The sfc /scannow came back with 100% verification and no integrity violations.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

CCleaner for just removing the temp files is fine. Revo is good also - don't use the toughest mode with it though

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Azarl is very correct in both cases, I work other forums and we all say to stay away from registry cleaners, some very good advice from well respected guys here :-

http://www.edbott.co...istry-cleaners/

And here :-

http://www.whatthete...gistry-cleaner/

Revo is probably one of the best uninstallers that I know of, though as once again in agreement with azarl, do not use the strongest option as it can remove the wrong registry files when set to that level.

Now back to the original problem.

I am hoping someone else can come up with suggestions as in your first post you have done everything else I can think of, and at least we know from the file check the system is OK.

Sorry, but I am lost for any better advice now.

Nev.

dusty_archivist

dusty_archivist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks again for the help, all, I really appreciate it.  :D

Well whenever I use Revo I use the moderate setting, so I should be okay.  I also go through the registry files it wants to delete to make sure nothing important to the system is deleted.

I am at a loss for what to do.  My only other thought, which is drastic, would be to do a factory reset, which would be quite unpleasant... Hopefully someone has another idea...