Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing GeForce GT 650 into Compaq DC5800 MT.

Graphics problem Start up problem

• Please log in to reply

Kingfink

Kingfink

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Salutations.  I recently purchased a Graphics Card to get my gaming into gear a little better, and have found that I might have purchased a Graphics card that some element of my system cannot handle.

As I said, I have an Hp Compaq DC5800 MT.  I purchased an Nvidia GeForce GT650.  I took out my old Graphics card (Did not uninstall old drivers) and I got a beeping Error Code of 6 Beeps (Graphics/Video Error).  The computer refused to boot up at all.

I reinstalled my old card, and it started up normally.  I shut down again after doing some research (I found only a small amount of info) and I reinstalled the GT 650.  I connected the monitor to the Mobo Graphics.  Still got the same Error message.  (perhaps Onboard graphics are disabled in the BIOS?)

I'm not super good with computers, so I am at best guessing/going off things I've read on various forums.

I guess my questions start with:  Should this Graphics card work with my Mobo/Power supply given that I run a DC5800 MT?

If so...what am I doing wrong with the Installation?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone is able to provide!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

:welcome:   Kingfink

Unless the stock HP/Compaq 300W PSU has been upgraded you should not attempt to run a GTX 650 if that is what you have (there is no GT 650) the GTX 650 requires a minimum of a 400W PSU with adequate amps on the +12V rail, see specs here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:welcome:

Hi Kingfink,

Is this the exact PC  http://h10010.www1.h...5229.html?dnr=2

NVIDIA does not have a Graphics card model for PC GT650 only GT650M for notebooks only. I believe this might be the model correct me if i am wrong, GTX650 if so it requires 400w or greater PSU (powersupply).

http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

One of the first things when buying a graphics card is checking how much wattage is needed from a PSU. Second would be the available slot needed for the card PCIe.

Now if this was correct model i listed you do not have enough wattage. Usually when you hook up an onboard graphics card it will disable the onboard, you should not have to do anything. Could check the BIOS, should be a setting to disable the onboard card, but i would not do it until the slot card is in and working.

You said beeps with the new card in and then tried again. What error message did you receive?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hey phill, you beat me with some of the same words. :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

No probs jd, going offline now, would you be kind enough to look after Kingfink  :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sure thing,friend.When member responds