Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange partition on SSD, can I delete it?

SSD partition format

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

So I got an SSD not long ago, a Samsung 840 EVO, absolutely love it, I migrated my Windows install from my old HDD and it worked flawlessly. I got a new motherboard since then, so I did a fresh Windows install, formatted the SSD in the Windows installation menu, and it all went well.

However once I got to the desktop I noticed the SSD now has two partitions, the C:\ drive, which is 232.8GB, and then a partition called N:\ with a volume named Data which is 100MB, with 93.3MB full. 

If I open the volume, I don't see any files, it appears to be empty, that or the files are hidden. 

As far as I can tell it isn't doing anything, can I just delete the partition? 

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Maybe OK to not have it on a fresh install but once there, I would leave it alone.   People get all sorts of partition structures, with/without drive letters, different sizes, hidden/unhidden.   Usually the System Reserve is 100MB containing no files and you seem to be able to run OK without it, but in your case it contains info, so I think it is the EFI partition.

http://superuser.com...tions-important

and a user trying to fathom partitions, > http://www.eightforu...partitions.html

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You have a Windows 7 installation disk, is this how you did it, custom install ?

Is your BIOS UEFI ? If so look here  http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

In disk management right click the main C: select volume see if in GPT Style if you do have a EFI BIOS.

Recently did a custom install of Windows 8.1 on a SSD, i have a EFI BIOS. I have 3 partitions the C: partition, 100MB EFI system partition and a 300MB recovery partition. Also becomes a 128mb hidden one.

Mine was done GPT.

Not sure i understand the drive letter made for one you mentioned,N:.

Mattering how you did your clean install.

;

Edited by jds63, 08 September 2014 - 10:28 PM.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Ah yes I am using UEFI, this is the first board I've had that supports it.

That explains it then, must be an EFI boot partition. 

I'll leave it alone then, thanks for the help guys. 

Does anyone know if there's a way to hide the partition in the My Computer menu, seen as I can't do anything with it? 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi averysadman,

Can take a screen capture of disk management and post it here, because if it was a UEFI install of Windows 7 all those partitions should not show up in explorer. Just be in disk management within the C:Drive, not have extra drive letters.

Like this

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Ah, ok. Here it is. 

drives.png

drives.png

Edited by averysadman, 09 September 2014 - 05:22 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Something looks wrong to me. For one Disk 0 should be your main operating sytem drive C:.Check your SATA cables may need to be switched, some will say this will not bother the system, but i prefer it to be 0 for C: drive.

Open the case and switch the SATA Cables around from the C: and E: drives.

That 100MB N: should not of had a drive letter and a name,as you see on mine. Somehow through the install it got named.

Another way to check if it is EFI GPT is right click the disk in disk management, select properties and go to the volume tab, tell me what it says.GPT style.

Which i can see pretty much it is not done EFI.

Something went wrong with this reinstall. I do see you have 2 other drives plus an external.

I would not delete this N: partition for now.

Need to know for sure you have a EFI BIOS to do it that way, now you do not have to, you can use older MBR.

Go into the BIOS, however it's done,F8, F9 or delete on boot.

Follow this if you reinstall and you know it is EFI and want to do it this way  http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

Edited by jds63, 10 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I don't have a volume tab in the properties, if I right click on the partition in Disk Management it just takes me to the standard properties window with the pie chart that you'd get in explorer.

I don't have any problems with Windows, everything seems to be working correctly, so I think I'll hold off on reinstalling for now unless a larger problem occurs. 

Is there any other way to know if the partition is EFI? 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You have to right click the area in disk management to the very left (grey area) says disk # with picture, then you will see it.

Doubtful it is done in EFI GPT partition, your 100MB partition would show it in disk management as in my picture in post # 5.

For one boot to the BIOS, there it should tell you that you have an EFI BIOS.

It is up to you to keep it the way it is now or if something occurs. Just does not look right to me.

Even when you put the operating disc in and go to the boot manager, would be an option to use UEFI from the disc.

When booting up usually on most system pressing F8 or F9 should get you to the boot manager.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Yeah it looks like it's MBR. 

I must have installed it wrong somehow.

Oh well, I don't really mind, my main reason for wanting UEFI was faster booting, and it boots lightning fast anyway. 

I wonder what that 100MB partition is then? Is there any way to see the data that is in there? I already have 'show hidden files and folders' activated. 

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Ah, so you clicked the right place. Not really a wrong way, MBR is just the older standard and more compatible with older software and hardware.

The way it's posted in the seven forum tutorial would show you how. If you boot from the OS disc. there would be a option in your boot manager for UEFI for DVD Drive.

Plus you can take a look in your BIOS, it would be listed there.

The 100MB partition contains bootable files to boot your computer in recovery mode. So if you delete it, you will loose this function. I would not advise it.

What has me wondering is why it shows in explorer and in disk management it has a drive letter associated with it. Even like mine in post #5 Windows 8 in MBR style will still create this 100MB partition.

Believe the files are not accessible to see.

If it was me, i would redo the install even though it is running well, nothing to loose, just make sure to back up files you put on it already.

You may or may not run into issues later on. Up to you as i said before, only here to advice, guide and help you

Edited by jds63, 12 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Well if I get any problems later, my data is very modular, reinstalling would be quite easy, but I would like to avoid it unless a problem occurs.

I was thinking perhaps I could remove the partition's drive letter in disk management, that wouldn't delete the data but would remove it from explorer. The only thing it can be is a recovery partition right? And that shouldn't need a drive letter. Worst case scenario if it gets messed up I can reinstall. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Averysadman,

Right click it in disk management, most likely options are all greyed out, so you can not do anything to it anyway.

Even if you could change the drive letter, only be able to choose another, not remove it completely or even change the path.

It is strange how this occured somehow when you did it in your install. Did you choose a custom install at the time?

This is a system partition within the C: drive. You should of had a recovery partition, but this is Windows 7, can't remember if you should, i have Windows 8.1.

The 100MB system partition has bootable files to boot your PC into recovery mode, not a recovery partition.

My advice since you are still concerned and trying to get rid of it in windows explorer is to just redo the Windows 7 install, you are saying yourself it is quite easy, bite the bullet, do it.

Nothing worse should happen, just back up all else you have.

Have trouble i will help you. In case do you have another PC to log on here with ?

Also, from looking at your disk management, Main drive you are going to use for operating system seems to be on disk 2, usually is on disk 0, the the rest should follow.

Now this mattered how you hooked it up inside the PC case through your SATA cables. What are the drives, infinity and media, assume there are 2 internal drives, since the G: drive is named External ?

Just have to switch them around.

Should and can go:

Disk 0 - C: operating system

Disk 1 - Infinity

Disk 2 - Media

Disk 3 - external

Most will say this does not matter how cable are hooked it will work, It will still boot correctly. I prefer it with OS drive to be Disk 0.

Also told you one way you could find out if it was a EFI bios before you decide to do it over, check the BIOS screen or pop the OS DVD in drive and boot up the PC into the boot manager, usually by pressing F8 or F9 during boot up. You will see an option for booting to the UEFI DVDROM .

Edited by jds63, 13 September 2014 - 01:21 PM.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Ok, well I'll be getting some new fans soon, so when I hook them up I'll swap the drives around and fix the order so the SSD is drive 0. 

When I did the new install, I formatted the SSD and did it fresh, I didn't choose any special options (that i'm aware of) and I didn't choose to migrate or upgrade.

Yeah my BIOS definitely has UEFI, it's advertised on the box and it appears to be in the boot menu.

I'm happy with the boot speed and there have been no problems so far, so I think I'll just leave it, I was able to remove the drive letter so it no longer appears in explorer, so I'll consider the problem solved, thanks for your advice. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. i was not sure would of been an option to remove the drive letter. Was that in disk management or explorer ?

Alright like i said does not matter to use old style instead of UEFI for now, although your board is capable of it and it is the newer option.

Entirely up to you. YW