Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Want to do clean install wins 7

Need Help!!!

• Please log in to reply

Pat_54

Pat_54

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi. :wave:

I have a gateway NX860XL. with 2gb ram and 68.7 hard drive. I was wondering if my computer is capable of a clean install to wins 7 or even wins 8. I have wins xp operating system now but with the security updates ending this will leave xp venerable and I guess all good things must end and time for change :( not that I want to but think its for the best. I'm just concerned if the computer can except the new operating system and if it will not slow down the computer. Unfortunately I can't afford a new computer so I'm left with trying this. I did upgrade a while back to 2gb ram and believe the computer is at it's limit here. As for the hard drive I have no idea if I can upgrade to one bigger. I was told you can't upgrade no more then the motherboard and processor can take this area I'm not real knowledgable on. I believe I can get this done with a little help. I know I have an Intel Core™2 CPU [email protected] 2.00 ghz. I hope this helps. Can you please tell me if this is possible and if so, is there any information that can help me to do the new install. Thanks ahead of time. Patty 

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Pat_54,

If you want to run Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.

Pretty much the same with Windows 7. I assume 68.7GB is what you have left now with XP on it, because your system specs says 80GB HDD.

As you can see it will take at least 16GB (32BIT) 20GB (64BIT) you may eventually want to upgrade your HDD to a bigger one, more suggestible a Solid State Drive.

With Windows 8 there are many updates plus the update to Windows 8.1. You might be better off with Windows 7 Home Premium if you can find a certified copy online for a decent price.

Although it is better to also go with the newer Operating system, but Windows 8.1 is a big change for most, i would take a look at images and features of Windows 8.1 to see if this will work well for you.

You should be fine running either, unless you are going to do higher end games and graphics.

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Hi jds63

Thanks for the quick response. This is good news. I already have a Wins 7 home premium certified copy which was bought a short time ago but honestly have been petrified to install. Hearing lots of horror stories about doing clean installs from win xp to 7 or 8. So I guess I can get a bigger hdd from what your saying.This I think could I could afford. But here again this is not my expertise area. Can you possibly give me a name or size or something to go on here or where I can go to get one and not really sure what you mean by a suggestible solid state drive. Please help me here. And is there anywhere I can look for guidance on installing the wins 7 operating system. I think I would rather go with 7 then 8 as I have seen 8 and worked a bit with it but not happy with it. It can get complexing to me. How do I begin, where do I begin, shouldn't I do some complete images of computer copying all files and items I want to keep before the new install. I just don't want to make a mistake and then wished I never did this. Thanks Pat

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,322 posts

Gday.

Before deciding about upgrading hardware, please read this article which will answer most of you questions, then post back,   NB. There is no link to click at the bottom of each page, you need to scroll back to the top and click the next step. 

http://windows.micro...dows-7#T1=tab01

Edit to add content.

So we can get some more info, please go, > Start > click Run and copy and paste  diskmgmt.msc in the Box, > click OK.  The Disk Management snap-in will open.   Take a screenshot and add to your next reply. 

To capture and post a screenshot; FIRST, duplicate this tab in your browser so you can easily read instructions.      

With the image you want displayed on the screen.
> Hold down the ALT key and Press the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side of the keyboard.   (nothing appears to happen, but the image is copied to the Clipboard.)

> Click on start, > all programs...accessories, > click paint.

In the window that opens, >  left click in the white area  > Hold down CTRL and press V. 

On the top menu, > click File > click Save as, Be sure to save as jpeg,...otherwise it may be to big to upload

save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing.

How to upload a file or image to G2G. 

Click the More Reply Options, (bottom right next to the blue reply button.) > Type in your text.

If the file or image already exists, > Click Choose file... (bottom left)

In the window that opens, > Browse to the file or image you want to upload, > Click the file/image you want, wait for confirmation at bottom left, 

(Repeat if you have more files/images to upload,) > click Reply.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your welcome, read info iammykyl posted here shows you how to install a custom install of Windows 7 from Windows XP.

Seems you have a SATA 1-1.5 Gbit/s ,Crucial says this model will work and i meant i would recommend an Solid State Drive over a HardDisk Drive  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148820

This is a quality rated item at a good cost,i have same myself.

http://www.newegg.co...cial-_-20148820

Let other member work with you on the rest. He is good at hardware.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Run the windows 7 upgrade advisor at http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=20

It will check hardware and programs for compatibility.