Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Toshiba Canvio Wireless Adapter and External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

devlon

devlon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there --

I just received a Toshiba Canvio Wireless Adapter and am trying to set it up.  From its description, it sounded as if plugging it into an external hard drive would enable wireless access to the drive's content.

After a bit of back and forth, I finally am able to actually connect to its signal.  I thought first it would piggyback on my existing wi-fi, but turns out, it actually broadcasts its own web server, sort of liek a router (I'm guessing)?

The problem I'm having is after I've connected to it, my external hard drive is still not accessible.  The drive shows up on the network when both my PC and iPhone connect to the Toshiba adapter, but when I try actually accessing it, I get a "check device's access to the adapter ... device not ready" message.

Is this some sort of permissions thing that I need to enable on the drive?  I've tweaked the sharing settings and still nothing.

This is a relatively new product that was just released a couple of months ago, and the support from Toshiba is pretty nonexistent.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Defective device?