Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 95 screen resolution too big to change

• Please log in to reply

scherazade

scherazade

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everybody, Thanks for being here.

I bought a second hand computer. When you turn it on it boots up fine but the display is set to super size so that each icon is about the size of a matchbook, and when I try to change the resolution, the window you change it in is too big to show fully and so you can't get to the controls to change it. The cpu is a compaq presario 4504. Please help.
Thanks!

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
here's my one idea - probably won't work, but here goes.

try to right click on the desktop. if the menu is normal size go to properties, then settings and change the screen area.

good luck.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One possibility is that someone reinstalled win95 and lost the right drivers for the video (and audio too), if so you can look on the video chip and get the part number and go to the mfrs. web site and download the drivers. I did that recently when I upgraded an old 95 machine to 98. You may also be able to Google that model +video +drivers and find what kind of drivers you need. Finding the right drivers isn't always easy. Good luck. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi scherazade...Welcomt to G2G!

There is a work around for this, but I'm afraid it is not a very precise one. First I'll need a little more info on just what you can and cannot see on the screen. Can you right click the desktop and choose properties? If you can, how much of the window can you see? If you can't see enough of the (right click) menu to choose properties, just how much can you see?

This method is like being a stranger navigating in a dark room and we'll be using the "tab" key and the "arrow" keys...with a little trial and error, this can be resolved...it will just take some time to figure out just which property window we are stumbling around in.

wannabe1