Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thoughts on detachable tablet/laptops?

tablet laptop detchable opinion

• Please log in to reply

endee

endee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey guys, I was wondering whether you have any experience with detachable tablet laptops? I am looking for a high performance laptop with a detachable tablet, which would serve me whenever I don't need the physical keyboard, however I don't want a gimmicky toy that offers nothing more than tablet specs with a keyboard attachment. Does such a thing even exist?  :prop:

Advertisements

Intalex

Intalex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

I just purchased Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 (128GB/ Intel i5) last week and have been very happy. Feel free to ask me any specific questions about it.

robherr

robherr

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Asus Transformer Pad for me is the best so far based on reviews.

endee

endee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I just purchased Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 (128GB/ Intel i5) last week and have been very happy. Feel free to ask me any specific questions about it.

@Intalex, thanks mate but it's a bit out of my monetary league, if you get me. :)

Asus Transformer Pad for me is the best so far based on reviews.

@robherr, I was thinking about Asus Transformer Book T100 since that's within my price range. Which one did you get and are you satisfied with its overall performance?

Edited by endee, 16 November 2014 - 02:15 PM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

I had a friends HP Envy X2 to work with a few weeks ago, and although it's not very powerful, I was fancying one for myself due to it having full windows 8 and not RT.

I found it to be really useful for occasional work and was thinking of one for my GeekU work when I am out and about.

Like you I found the surface 3 too expensive so have also been looking at the T100. If it is as good as the X2 then I would be very happy with it.

strollin

strollin

• Pip
  • 8 posts

The Surface Pro 3 is pricey but what you're really getting is an "ultrabook" that also works as a tablet.  Very awesome device, I bought mine the first day they went on sale and haven't regretted the cost at all.  I also got the dock for mine and when placed in the dock the SP3 makes a pretty decent desktop replacement as well.  One place the SP3 blows away much of the competition is it's gorgeous 2160x1440 display.  For instance, the HP Envy x2 can be had, at best,with a 1920x1080 display and the Asus T100 has a 1366x768 display.

Before I got my SP3, I had a Dell Venue 8 Pro which is a pretty nice Win 8 device as well (it's no SP3 though).  The main advantage to the V8P is that it cost about a 3rd of what the SP3 cost.  It doesn't have a detachable keyboard but has Bluetooth built-in so works great with a Bluetooth keyboard.  Dell sells a matching keyboard that attaches magnetically for storage or carrying purposes (but can't be used that way).  Add a folio case and you have the keyboard and a way to stand the screen up while typing.

Edited by strollin, 19 November 2014 - 10:54 AM.

endee

endee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Well guys, I've been out of the country for a while, but before I went away I ordered a Toshiba Satellite laptop. The specs are great: Core i5 4GB 128GB SSD 12.5 inch screen, and the touchscreen is great. It is slightly less responsive than the new iPad, however I don't mind, especially considering its power. The battery is pretty okay, I've been getting solid 4hrs while multitasking like crazy. Can't say that I'm amazed, but I've definitely seen worse.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Cool. Glad you are sorted :D

I ended up getting the Asus transformer T200.

Battery lasts all day and performance is perfect for basic use. Web browsing, the odd video playback etc. For the money can't go wrong.