Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing my broken but only hard drive? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I have an old desktop computer who ran windows xp. The computer had only one 250GB HDD hard drive and I didn't divide at all, there was only a C drive. A few days ago the computer kept rebooting, and the reason of its failing should be due to the hard drive after me running a few test researched on the internet. 

So I took out the failing hard drive and plugged in a new 1TB hard drive. I wanted to use Windows 7 this time so I burnt a Windows 7 DVD through the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. And I did the process of changing the 1st booting priority to the DVD drive in the BIOS. 

But after putting in the DVD I still got the message of "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". Did I do anything wrong? What shall I do to use the new hard drive? Thanks a lot. 

p.s. I didn't have the original windows xp disk, and I prefer to use Windows 7 this time.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: lfcernestt.

Please give the link to where you purchased and downloaded the ISO windows OS. 

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:welcome: lfcernestt.

Please give the link to where you purchased and downloaded the ISO windows OS. 

Thanks. I downloaded it from the official Microsoft website.

http://www.microsoft..._usbdvd_dwnTool

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please restart the computer, enter the BIOS and see if the HDD is detected, if yes, check again the boot order is set correctly, then press F10, confirm yes, to save and exit. 

If you still have it, insert your old XP disc, restart the computer, just cancel the install if it boots. 

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Please restart the computer, enter the BIOS and see if the HDD is detected, if yes, check again the boot order is set correctly, then press F10, confirm yes, to save and exit. 

If you still have it, insert your old XP disc, restart the computer, just cancel the install if it boots. 

Hi so I did the BIOS process and the HDD is detected and the boot order is CD/DVD->HDD->card reader

I have tried to burn both 32 bit and 64 bit of windows 7 but both of them didn't work and stuck in the "Hardware Monitor" page. 

I didn't have my win xp disk so I have downloaded different types of windows xp on the internet and put them into a usb drive by rufus. I have entered the setup page but they all show up "Setup cannot find the End-User License Agreement (EULA). Setup will not continue." What should I do?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry lfcernestt, I did not pay good attention to your reply #3, where the link is to the Microsoft Tool.

What we need, is the link where you downloaded the Windows 7 ISO file?

A download of XP is unlikely to work, non are legal, Microsoft has never made an official download available.

Please check you don't have a card in the card reader.

So, when you restart the computer with the DVD inserted, from this tutorial, which screen are you stuck at? > http://pcsupport.abo...tm#step-heading

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Sorry for the late reply, I was dealing with some personal problems. I stuck at this page (I found this pic on the internet, but pretty much the same). 

hbC5O.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not a problem.

Please try again as that looks like a BIOS screen  and not one you would get from a Windows install disc.

When you restart the computer with the installation disc in the optical drive and the BIOS set to DVD as first Boot, you should not press any keys (or input anything until the language screen) and the first or second screen should display, as in the Tutorial link in Reply #6.   

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

If you don't mind me popping in, just to mention that considering this was originally an XP based computer, I am concerned that the hardware, mother board, CPU etc may not be able to run Windows 7. More than likely it will not handle a 64 bit version of Windows 7, which version did you download?

Can you tell us please, the motherboard make and model number, it may be on a label somewhere on the board, also what make and model is the CPU.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 29 September 2014 - 05:52 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Nev for coming in, still waiting for a response from lfcernestt

Advertisements

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If you don't mind me popping in, just to mention that considering this was originally an XP based computer, I am concerned that the hardware, mother board, CPU etc may not be able to run Windows 7. More than likely it will not handle a 64 bit version of Windows 7, which version did you download?

Can you tell us please, the motherboard make and model number, it may be on a label somewhere on the board, also what make and model is the CPU.

Nev.

Sorry for late reply as I was moving back to my college in these few days. I didn't bring that computer in so I can't answer in many details. 

The only thing I know at this stage is that the desktop was bought in 2008 and the CPU was a pretty cheap Core 2 duo processor at that time. Motherboard didn't change since 2008 as well. 

I tried different methods, like burnt both 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows 7 from the official Microsoft website and by their DVD tool, or installed a latest version puppy linux iso into a usb flash drive (suggested by people in other forum) and plug that in the card reader before boot up, all of these methods were unsuccessful and eventually stuck at the above "Hardware Monitor" page instantly after a boot up page, no screens like the tutorial link as suggested by iammykyl can be seen. 

Edited by lfcernestt, 02 October 2014 - 07:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

lfcernestt

Please post the requested link to where you downloaded the Windows 7 ISO.

Try downloading a Windows 7 ISO from an approved source to a 4GB or above thumbdrive, change the boot sequence in the BIOS to 1: USB device, 2: HDD and 3: DVD drive, the card reader should be disabled.

Be sure that you save the new settings in the BIOS before you exit, this is often done by pressing F9 to save and then F10 to confirm acceptance of the changes.

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Windows 7 Ultimate x86  with SP1 (bootable)
http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-24394.iso

Windows 7 Ultimate X64  with SP1 (bootable)
http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-24395.iso

I downloaded from these links. And for Windows 7 I created 2 DVDs via the official tool. But when I boot it just went to the Hardware Monitor page after several seconds. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Do you have any other bootable CD you can test with, MB driver disc, video card installation disc? 

You have the correct legal site.   Your downloads/burns may be corrupted.  If the optical drive works, download the 32bit version again, burn at the lowest speed, then test.

AS Nav said, "your hardware may not support W7".  If you can borrow an XP disc, try installing to the computer, you do not need to enter a product code for installation, it will just stop working after 30 days.

If it will install, you can then run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor. > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20, 

lfcernestt

lfcernestt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Sorry for the late reply guys. The matter has been resolved. I gave the computer to my sister's friend to check and he said my DVD player had some problems on reading disc, that's why I had never been successful when I put a disc in . He installed a new DVD burner and everything is okay now. Thanks for all the help along the way though.