Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optical Drive opening randomly by itself

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

My optical drive on my Toshiba Satilite L755D-S5204 keeps opening randomly by itself. It only happens ocasionally but it is odd. How can I fix this?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 12 September 2014 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Sounds like it may be infected. Geeks to Go > Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Sounds like it may be infected. Geeks to Go > Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal

I have run scans with AVG and Malwarebytes and found nothing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Before heading off to malware can I ask whether or not you have Toshiba reinstall disk/s either provided by Toshiba or created by yourself, if not you should create one/two now;

1: Click the "Start" icon in the Windows 7 taskbar.
2: Click "All Programs," "My Toshiba," then "Recovery Media Creator." The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator program window appears on the screen.
3: Click to check the box to the left of "System Recovery Media," then click the drop-down box to the right of "System Recovery Media" beneath "Media Set." Select "DVD." The number of DVDs required to create the recovery disc set appears beneath "Information."
4: Insert a blank, writable DVD into the computer's optical drive, then click "Create" in the lower-right corner of the program window.
5: Remove and insert additional DVDs as prompted. Label the discs you remove in order, such as "Recovery Disc 1," "Recovery Disc 2," "Recovery Disc 3" and so on. Store the discs in a safe place so you will be able to find them when you need them.

If you already have or once you have created the back up disk, create a new restore point, uninstall the drive in Device Manager, restart the notebook, allow Windows to install the generic drivers and see how it goes, if the issue is still present I would remove the drive from the notebook and give the contacts a clean with something like ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL and inspect the eject button etc to make sure that it is not sticking, replace the drive and test.

In addition, check to see if the drive door has a small circular hole in it, if yes, with the notebook turned off and disconnected from the AC adapter, insert a straightened paperclip into the hole to eject the drive tray, close it and repeat the exercise 3/4 times more, this again in case the locking mechanism is sticking. 

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I do not have the recovory disks I got my laptop at a pawnshop.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The software to create the recovery discs is on the computer.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I am running another virus scan, it skiped ahead from Reigstry to file system and the progress bar jumped ahead a bit. So far no threats found. I am also going to scan with Malwarebytes again. I also only have DVD RWs.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 13 September 2014 - 12:43 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Does the problem occur after booting up Windows in "Safe mode with networking"? If so, it may be a hardware problem instead of software.

Edited by SpywareDr, 13 September 2014 - 12:44 PM.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Does the problem occur after booting up Windows in "Safe mode with networking"? If so, it may be a hardware problem instead of software.

It only happens rarely not very often.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Then you might want to boot and run the computer from a Live CD/USB for a while (a day or so), instead of using Safe mode with networking.

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

If the problem persists even when running a different Operating System, then the issue is probably hardware related.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

This seems well beyond my skill level. The problem only happens rarely.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Sorry but, I'm afraid there is no little magic "Stop the occasional random opening and closing of my DVD drive" button. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

It only happens rarely not very often.

Have you actually tried using the computer in Safe Mode with Networking for an extended period of time to see if the issue does happen, if not try doing so and use the notebook as you normally would.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to follow the suggested steps RebelGamer137, unfortunately as the Doc has suggested there is no quick fix that will not require some form of your input, your options are 1: to learn to live with it or 2:  try the most basic of suggestions to at least rule out some possibilities as the cause, if no joy with Safe Mode with Networking start with exercising/cleaning the drive as detailed in my reply #4

remove the drive from the notebook and give the contacts a clean with something like ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL and inspect the eject button etc to make sure that it is not sticking, replace the drive and test.
In addition, check to see if the drive door has a small circular hole in it, if yes, with the notebook turned off and disconnected from the AC adapter, insert a straightened paperclip into the hole to eject the drive tray, close it and repeat the exercise 3/4 times more, this again in case the locking mechanism is sticking.