Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDK viruses names. System is very unstable. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is still way to long as mine takes less than a minute ...

Do you have half an hour or so that you can set aside to do the next bit ?

Download the SDK web installer from here
Run the installer and select the following:

Leave the location to default
wdk%20location.JPG

Windows Performance Toolkit
Wintoolkitselect.JPG

You must reboot on completion of the install

After reboot set aside about 30 minutes when you will not need the computer

When ready start an elevated command prompt :

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator

Then copy and paste the following command into the black box :

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

sdk%20command.JPG

Now your PC will be restarted 6 times. With a two minute pause before the tool runs after the desktop loads
After the second reboot the MS defragmentation program is running and is placing the files into an optimized layout, so that Windows will boot up faster
The last Reboots are training of readyBoot. After the training is finished, you'll notice a huge improvement in startup.

Readyboot

The logical prefetching described above is used when the system has less than 512MB of memory. If the system has 700MB or more then an in-RAM cache is used to further optimize the boot process (its not clear from the book whether or not this ReadyBoot cache completely replaces the logical prefetching approach or just builds on it, my assumption is that both work together).
After each boot the system generates a boot caching plan for the next boot using file trace information from up to the five previous boots which contains details of which files were accessed and where on the disk they were located. These traces are stored as .fx files in the

Advertisements

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Just woke up... with a massive headache :/ Brewing my coffee! Yes, I have time to run the next programs... just a quick FYI, now since I have an actual desktop computer up and running, it too takes less than one minute to start up! :) So, I've installed my Photoshop, Acrobat, about to install Word... so, once they're installed on this computer I'm uninstalling them from the notebook that we're fixing. That should free up a lot of resources on it too! :) 

I'm following your steps now for the notebook. 

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

:/ Notebook crashed... Had to power off then power back on... it's doing the "Checking file system on C:" now.... so, have to wait for it to finish before it loads Windows... 

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Well...... upon restart... back to the blue screen crash... Going to give the notebook a break. So, powering off. Going to run errands while it rests. Be back later this evening to try try try again...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK can you remember what the stop error was when it crashed ?

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

I've attached a photo I took of the blue screen crash report... it says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated......................"

I do not  know where to go from here. I appear to be able to restart the computer as normal... but once Windows and my desktop finally appear... I can't do much of anything before it crashes again... 

*I'm replying from the new desktop computer as it's MUCH easier and A LOT quicker. :) 

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

oops... forgot to attach. Sorry. 

Attached Thumbnails

• bluescreencrash1.jpg

Edited by PBHRescue, 18 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Good morning! Okay... First, regarding the Start up... not sure exactly what happened but after the last blue screen crash, the computer is now starting up by completion less than 10 minutes! Confused as to why and how... but not going to complain! It beats the hour and a half it used to take!

I did complete uninstalling a lot of programs (Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat, Office 2013, several smaller programs... and I even uninstalled Trend Micro (Anti-virus) so that I could use it on the new computer since I only have one license for it. I've installed Microsoft Security Essentials to replace it though on this notebook ;)

I am still having issues with "Not Responding" but it appears to happen sporadically and periodically.

I went through the SDK completely. No issues on installing it. However, when I went to do the command thing... it sadly failed. I've attached a screenshot of the error. Not sure why it failed but it did. :(

I tried it twice thinking maybe the it was just a fluke. No fluke... Note that the Notebook is taking less than 10 minutes BEFORE I attempted the command code.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Would you be happy to go into the registry and set the prefetcher to start ?

If so then follow the steps on this page http://www.tech-reci...-only-fetching/

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Done! Shall I try the Command stuff now?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes please :)

Has the system improved since you uninstalled the programmes or are you still stuck at 10 minutes ?

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

I'm still stuck at about 10 minutes... and not sure how that happened to be honest. But it beats the original 1 1/2 hours! And then the 40 approximate minutes! 

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Oh, I meant to ask too... after I uninstalled Trend Micro AV... I installed the Windows Security Essentials... but I didn't realize I had Windows Defender (No worries, it's disabled ;) ) Which one is the better of the two to have/use?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Security essentials is an antivirus whereas defender is just general malware.

Thinking on did the improvement come after trend was removed ?

Lets fully remove trend now

Download this programme to your desktop http://solutionfile....ool_hfb0001.exe

Double-click Ti_80_win_global_Uninstall_hfb0001.exe.

1.Click Yes when the User Account Control window appears.
2.Read and accept the License Agreement, then click Next.
3.Click Install.
4.Click Uninstall software.
5.Type the captcha characters in the field provided.
6.Click Uninstall. Wait for the uninstallation to complete.
7.Click Yes to restart the computer.

See if that removes a few more minutes :)

PBHRescue

PBHRescue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

I have followed the Trend Micro uninstall instructions and it successfully completed. :)

I am still getting that error message when going through the command prompt... even after the regedit edit. :/

I'm sorry the Notebook is being "hard headed"... As for the restart of the notebook, it started taking about 10 minutes after the last blue screen crash that I posted the attachment of which was before the Trend Micro uninstall but I believe it was after or during the uninstall of Photoshop, Acrobat, and/or Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013.