Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox crashes; IE - unable to reach certain sites

Firefox Internet Explorer Flash plugin

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Startup programs from CCleaner attached. Some were turned back on after I turned them off, like NCPlugin Updater, and a second HydraVisionDesktopManager.

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I don't know how to get to the chkdsk log. Last time I ran it, I saw it running, it rebooted the machine, and that was it. Where is the log?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Startup programs from CCleaner attached. Some were turned back on after I turned them off, like NCPlugin Updater, and a second HydraVisionDesktopManager.

Nothing attached here. Did you find out you needed these startup items ? Any program errors or messages. Believe if you look on the text i reattached  few posts back i told you what HydraVisionManager was used for.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I don't know how to get to the chkdsk log. Last time I ran it, I saw it running, it rebooted the machine, and that was it. Where is the log?

On start menu button, select run, type powershell.exe  In powershell window,  copy and paste this exactly as shown, it will place a log on your desktop.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Can you recommend a video downloader other than vdownloader?

Thanks.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

All you have to do is look back on other posts in this thread for ways i shown you, rather then you asking again, me retyping it back, i do not mind, be easier for you to go back on it, if you get lost.

Need to familiarize yourself with your programs and there settings to know how and where to shut something off from running and also learn the effect and why.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Can you recommend a video downloader other than vdownloader?

Thanks.

Truthfully no, but matters if want a free one or not. For me Tonec Internet Download Manager works well for all types of downloads and integrates into Firefox,IE and all other browsers well. Nice program, but again, not free.

Edited by jds63, 03 October 2014 - 06:32 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

check this picture, Internet Download manager icon on Youtube page, just above the video to the right. See it ? Click that will download the video into the manager.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I thought my System Restores were already being made. It's when I tried to restore one that it crashed. Shouldn’t I have my PC set to be creating System Restores on a regular basis?

Nothing attached here. Did you find out you needed these startup items ? Any program errors or messages....No. File should be attached now.

I’ll run another chkdsk tonight.

I want software to download video and the audio portion of video, primarily from youtube. Is Internet Download Manager good for that?  They offer a free trial.

Thanks.

Attached Files

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes you should leave system restore on for OS drive, also if have another drive with software on it. Now you can delete restore points and then manually create restore points. Usually when you uninstall, reinstall program, install updates for windows it either grows the restore point or makes another. All have a date, when you manually create one, can name it to recognize it.

O.k., but since ran one already, still be able to get the log. Way in Event Viewer i can not recall, have to get back to you on that.

Internet download manager downloads whole video or whole whatever you download. Although some media player might not be able to play the video, it matters.

Yes a 30 day trial, very well rated. This way can download anything and it will be much quicker and easier, even puts a context in the right click menu. So right click certain items select it for IDM (INTERNET DOWNLOAD MANAGER)

Once you install it, it will take over all downloads you do over the internet through browser.

Not sure what you want me to tell you about the text you sent me back, after i made all suggestions for what to disable and what to keep enabled. Your choice, test each one that you did not for ill effect.

Edited by jds63, 03 October 2014 - 07:11 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Good for you if not that familiar with System restore   http://www.wikihow.c...re-on-Windows-7

Google is your friend, great place to find answers and learn about what you do not know. If stumped or still not sure ask here.

Edited by jds63, 03 October 2014 - 07:23 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I read the tutorial on System Restore. I do have automatic restore points on my PC. Since the system restore I tried a few weeks ago crashed, do you think it's a good idea to try doing one now, even though I don't need a system restore at this point?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Always a good idea to use system restore points, yes use one now. Do you have any restore points now , or before you did anything yet ? Follow the tutorial it is a lot to write here step by step how to configure, create, turn on a drive, turn off a drive and use a restore point to go back to a earlier point.

If you know everthing is working good for days, delete all other restore points and make a new one. Always try that one to see if it works or if it crashes, then if it does, we can figure out your problem.

You will not know till you try. Possible order of first a chkdsk, then a dism and then a SFC can repair a fault in the system restore function, but first let's try system restore.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

OK, I'll create a restore point a couple days from now and try to restore it.

Did you find out how I can get the log of the chkdsk I did a few days ago?

Thanks.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Please download ListChkdskResult by SleepyDude to the desktop.

• Double click on the icon and click Run
  • The log will appear on your desktop as a .txt file and the notepad will open.

Please copy and paste the results in your next reply.