Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shutsdown no bsod or error

laptop problem

• Please log in to reply

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello I hope my issue gets solved from here.First of all my laptop specs are:

Dell n5110 15r

i7 2670qm

nvidia gt525m

6 gb ram

640gb hdd

15.6 inch

windows 8.1 x64

Plz read the post fully in order to understand the problem.The laptop is now 2 years old.It was running fine and suddenly one day it turned itself off and after 2-3 seconds it powers up automatically and windows boots normally.First I thought it was a power issue so i replaced my Dell 130W charger with a new charger also 130W.Hopefully the problem was solved and my lappy ran fine for 2 weeks but suddenly it started to shut down playing games.But this time around it didn't powers on itself automatically.Pressing the power button after it turns off powers up the lappy and windows just boots normally like nothing happened. Then the first thing that comes in mind is overheating but i doubt since i cleaned the heatsinks myself and also replaced the thermal paste with a new one.Anyway I downloaded temp monitoring software and the max CPU temps were only 81c and max gpu temps were only 77c.Now these temps are absolutely fine.Then i thought it was the game itself so I ran 2-3 different games and it happens but its not overheating.Sometimes it happens after 5-10 minutes and sometimes i can play for 2-3 hours straight without any shut downs.Windows 8.1 was installed since 6 months and was running absolutely fine up until now.So the next thing i factory restored my laptop,formatted the whole data and installed windows 7 x64 which originally shipped with and i installed all original drivers which came with the CD.The problem is also happening in windows 7.I am not using any third party antivirus software.The thing is when I am playing games the in game character starts moving forward like im pressing and holding that key and then after 2-3 seconds it shuts down.In short I knew the lappy is going to be powered off because the in game character starts moving like im pressing and holding that key which i am not and then bam it powers off.No BSOD or any error comes.I checked windows events and it states (event 41) the computer restarted without cleanly shutting down first.All bug codes are 0.Also i removed battery and plugged in directly but same thing happens.

Plz note that im using latest BIOS which is a11.I am really running out of ideas here.Some games I play the most are counter strike global offensive on steam and mass effect 2 also on steam.

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hello geniuz999

Welcome to gTg

Let's see if we can get a look at the dump file.

You said you reformatted, but I assume it has crashed again since, correct?

Download Who Crashed.

Set it up, run it and post back the results please.

It's a very straight forward program, but if you need assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and have a great night.

:ph34r: SGC :ph34r: 

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello and thankx for replying.The laptop just turns off itself,it is like somebody pulled the plug from desktop computer.This happens with or without the battery.I will surely download the program you suggested and post back the results to you.

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I downloaded whocrashed but im afraid to say it is of no help.When i press analyze it says (Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. In case you are experiencing system crashes, it may be that crash dumps are prevented from being written out).It suggested few things and i checked everything like disk space,page file etc and everything is ok.

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hello geniuz999

This is very strange. So the system doesn't seem to be crashing,

just shutting off (not shutting down) as if it just suddenly lost power.

So it's doing this whether it's plugged in to the PSU or just running off battery?

I hate to say that it's an obvious hardware problem,

But it sure looks that way.

So after 2 years I assume your warranty is long gone?

The fact that it happens while playing games has me thinking GPU,

or at least something tied in to the card.

You might have to try a new graphics card or take it to an expert.

Hard to diagnose this kind of issue in a forum.

I will however, look into this further.

:ph34r: SGC :ph34r:

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

There is one strange thing always happens before shut down.My in game character stucks going in one direction like i am pressing and holding that key which im not and 2-3 seconds after that the lappy shuts down. As for GPU i ran furmark for 20 minutes and max temps were 85c but they never go higher then 80c playing games.This issue only reproduces itself while im extensively using keyboard and mashing keys on it.

Edited by geniuz999, 16 September 2014 - 04:47 AM.

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello geniuz999

This is very strange. So the system doesn't seem to be crashing,

just shutting off (not shutting down) as if it just suddenly lost power.

So it's doing this whether it's plugged in to the PSU or just running off battery?

I hate to say that it's an obvious hardware problem,

But it sure looks that way.

So after 2 years I assume your warranty is long gone?

The fact that it happens while playing games has me thinking GPU,

or at least something tied in to the card.

You might have to try a new graphics card or take it to an expert.

Hard to diagnose this kind of issue in a forum.

I will however, look into this further.

There is one strange thing always happens before shut down.My in game character stucks going in one direction like i am pressing and holding that key which im not and 2-3 seconds after that the lappy shuts down. As for GPU i ran furmark for 20 minutes and max temps were 85c but they never go higher then 80c playing games.This issue only reproduces itself while im extensively using keyboard and mashing keys on it.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, running at 80 to 85C is a little high for that processor, however the stated maximum in the specification says 100C, however design temperature is 45C. It may, or may not be a contributing factor to these shutdowns. Is the cooling fan definitely running, are you sure you got all dust and fluff from the cooling fins and also are the side vents of the laptop clean and allowing a good free air flow?

I got those specifications from here :-

http://www.cpu-world... i7-2670QM.html

Click the yellow question mark by the side of "Maximum operating temperature" and also "Thermal design power" for an explanation of what it actually means.

Nev.

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi guys I am happy to report that my issue is being resolved.This issue was major pain in my a** for about a month.It seems the issue was't the power or heat issues.I will explain below in details:
Remember when i said that whenever the shutdown is going to happen my in game character stucks going in forward direction and then laptop shuts down.So the thing is i always instantly plug in my microsoft wireless mouse after installing the OS.Whenever windows checks for updates it detects my wireless mouse and give me recommended updates for several things like microsoft hardware keyboard,microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard center,microsoft wireless usb keyboard.Once these updates are installed u cannot delete them,so this time around when i clean installed my OS i simply hide all updates relating to microsoft keyboard or mouse,becuase once they are installed they cannot be removed from the system and voila not a single shut down since.Note that i don't use microsoft keyboard,i only use my laptop keyboard.
But one thing is still bothering,why they were causing the shut downs like instant shut downs,bcoz as far as i know driver problems can cause BSOD but not instant shut downs.Anyway im happy that my issue is now solved.Thank you all guys for your help.

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hello geniuz999

So it was a Windows update causing the problem... :bashhead:

I've heard of updates causing issues before, quite often in fact.

But never heard of a system shutting off (not down) due

to an incompatible/corrupted Windows update.

I thought for sure it was in the hardware itself.

Very strange indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once these updates are installed u cannot delete them

If they are installed, there is always a way to uninstall/remove them.

Especially since most Windows updates come packaged with an uninstaller.

Even without the uninstaller, there are ways to remove these updates.

Well I am glad to see that your problem has been solved... :spoton: 

If you have any other issues, feel free to come back and see us anytime.

Thank you and have a great day.

:rockon:

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 17 September 2014 - 09:51 AM.

geniuz999

geniuz999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello geniuz999

So it was a Windows update causing the problem...

Yeah I also thought it was a hardware issue but one thing was always stinging me that why the keyboard starts malfunctioning before the shut down.So upon this installation of OS i did't installed any updates relating to my wireless mouse and anyway keyboard updates were not necessary becuase i don't use any external keyboard.Maybe these keyboard updates were interfering with my laptops keyboard functions.Anyway thanks for taking ur time im helping me.