Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with This PC

• Please log in to reply

pamplemousse9

pamplemousse9

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So I'm not a particularly tech savvy person, and I've managed to screw up "This PC" on Win 8.1 while trying to organise my documents. I tried (don't ask why) to move the Documents folder from the C drive to the D drive. As far as I could tell, that was successful, but I've clearly done something wrong as my Desktop folder seems to somehow now have the same location as my Documents. Every time I put something new or delete it in Documents, it appears (or disappears) on my desktop. I changed the location of Documents from the D drive back to the C, so its current location is: C:\Users\Anita\Documents. The location for Desktop folder also says C:\Users\Anita\Documents, but I can't get it to change. 

There also appears to be two sections titled "Desktop" under "This PC".

I've attached images of the Documents folder, the Desktop folder and the This PC screen.

I really don't know what I've done, but any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Documents.PNG
  • Desktop.PNG
  • This PC.PNG

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello pamplemousse9 :)

"Documents" and "Desktop" are user profile folders and therefore cannot be simply moved by drag and drop like you did. What you have to do is to create a new folder to the desired location (on the D: drive for you), name it "Desktop" or "Documents" (depending on which one you are creating), then right-click on the original "Desktop" or "Documents" folder, and under "Location", change the folder location so it points on the new folder you created to the desired location (in your case, the D: drive).