Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mirror Drive of laptop

• Please log in to reply

ericwinter

ericwinter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got alot of time and effort into the configuration and programs on my laptop. I have been using Powerquest Drive Image and a couple of other programs to make hard drive images onto an external drive, but I have never tested the images. I don't actually know if, in my moment of crises, these images would work.

I am trying to figure out how I can know. I am not very technical when it comes to creating partitions etc. and probably don't have the time to try to learn much about it. I do have several desktops with big hard drives... neither currently has a spare drive, but I could get one.

I've been told that I would probably have to find an identical laptop in order to be guaranteed that my image will work.

Is this true?

If not exactly true, what are the most important factors...
I have a Presario 2570us... P4 512MB 40 GB Win XP Pro, Integrated wireless They are hard to find... There are many different models in the Presario 2500 line... some are athlon some are p4 with bigger drives, etc. I would imagine that the athlons and M processors are the worst choices...

What about Windows XP Pro, is that a requirement? My understanding is that the image totally replaces what is on the disk, so I would think that the OS wouldn't matter...

BTW, I am trying to wrap my mind around the whole image thing... How does this work for licenses? I have LOTS of software on my laptop 30-40 different apps I use all the time. If I make an image, could I just run these apps on two machines?

Would all of my settings (Example FTP sites) be in place? Would it be EXACTLY the same.

If that is the case, than imaging is mindblowing to me. I will happily drop $800 on a new laptop (hoepfully a 2570) and clone everything just for the peace of mind that I could be back online in very short order should my current laptop fail.

I suppose I would change my backup procedure to both create the image and restore it to the 2nd laptop...

Anyhow, any insights would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

ericwinter

ericwinter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
One of the other imaging programs that I am using is Acronis True Image

ericwinter

ericwinter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is this the right forum for this post? Any tips on where else to post?