Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer wont turn on but the GPU fans are running

• Please log in to reply

chengthomasvang94

chengthomasvang94

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Motherboard : asrock z77 extreme 3
Cpu - i5 3570k
Memory - ballistix 4gb x 2
PSU - corsair cz750
Video Card - msi gtx 660ti twin frozr

My uncle bought a new graphics card and it didn't work for his rig. We decided to test it on mine to see if it worked. It didn't work so we realized his graphics card was the problem. After he went back and got a new one, it worked on his rig. I decided to clean my motherboard of dust so I took it out and cleaned it. 

After putting my motherboard back on and graphics card right after. My computer wont turn on anymore. Monitor, keyboard lights, etc. The cpu fan turns on for a split second then dies. The blue led power light stays on the whole time.

The weird thing is that the graphics card's twin fans are still running.

I'm not sure if I forgot to put the wires in the right places or if the motherboard burned out or static problems. The cpu cooler fan literally spins for a second then stops. The other fans on the cases aren't spinning.

If there is a problem with my motherboard, I need suggestions for a motherboard for around $100. It needs to be compatible with everything I have right now.

Edited by chengthomasvang94, 17 September 2014 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    chengthomasvang94

Are the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EATX (CPU supply) both securely connected.

Things to try included removing and reseating the Ram.

Remove the video card and try using only the video provided by the CPU.

Has the CPU fan been connected to the correct header on the MB.

So that we can check the cooling fans can you tell us what case you have.

chengthomasvang94

chengthomasvang94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

:welcome:    chengthomasvang94

Are the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EATX (CPU supply) both securely connected.

Things to try included removing and reseating the Ram.

Remove the video card and try using only the video provided by the CPU.

Has the CPU fan been connected to the correct header on the MB.

So that we can check the cooling fans can you tell us what case you have.

Yes both are securely connected.

I've tried the ram thing also. I've tried one, the other, and both.

I have tried with the CPU graphics and with the GPU graphics. It still doesn't turn on. The GPU fan does spin faster than usual but that's about the only thing visibly working.

Yes the CPU fan has been connected to the correct header. I have not touched the CPU or the CPU Cooler.

I'm not sure what the case is. It's been like 2 years but the case fans aren't running either.

The only thing I can 100% guarantee is running is the GPU because the fans are running and the LED light for the case when it's powered on.

The PSU works for my uncle's rig so it's not that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Are the chassis fans fed direct from the PSU by 4 pin molex connections or are they connected to the MB.

Please refer to the canned text below;

Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen. 
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

No need to quote my replies btw  ;) 

chengthomasvang94

chengthomasvang94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

They are connected directly to the MB. 

I've done the barebones and I've tried jumping it.

The same thing happens every time. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 fan would spin for a second then dies. The case fans connected to the MB doesn't turn on. The keyboard/mouse/monitor doesn't turn on at all. It's weird because my Tenga USB Wifi connector has a light that would turn on but that's the only external connected thing that turns on. My PSU would turn on then die after about 10 seconds but I already confirmed it's not the PSU.

I've also tried the RAM/GPU on my uncle's rig and it works fine.

I'm wondering if it's because I did something to the motherboard when I took it out to clean or the CPU coincidentally died.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

MBs are more prone to failure + the CPU has not been disturbed so it is less likely (but not impossible) that it is the cause.

Does your MB have a BIOS speaker that normally emits a single beep when the computer completes POST.

I am aware that you have tried the PSU on your Uncles computer but try the test as shown at the Corsair link here

If you are using a USB keyboard try using a wired P/S 2 type as a bad keyboard can prevent the computer from booting up.

chengthomasvang94

chengthomasvang94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I just tried the external fan test alone and it does work.

I only have a usb keyboard and not a PS/2 wired keyboard.

If you have to say what is the highest possibility of the problem, which item would it be?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

first thing i'd do is remove everything, gpu and ram, disconnect power then reset the bios by removing the battery on the motherboard.

then replace battery, connect 1 stick of ram and use on board graphics connect power lead and see if it stays on now.

if not then i'd suggest taking it back out of the case and trying it on a cardboard box to see if it powers up, (as philpower said earlier yet you don't seem to have done, unless i missed it.) if it does work out of the case then i'd think you have a short somewhere when inserted into the case, which usually means you have the standoffs in the wrong place.

If you have to say what is the highest possibility of the problem, which item would it be?

power supply

motherboard

cpu

in that order.

:popcorn:

also you said you gave it a good clean so i'd check in all the slots again just to make sure that some debris didn't get stuck in one or a pin got bent causing a short and the instant power off your getting.

Edited by terry1966, 18 September 2014 - 02:09 PM.

chengthomasvang94

chengthomasvang94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I already breadboarded it. Nothing is happening. It doesn't work outside the case either.

In every situation, the only things visibly working are the GPU fans and the PSU fan. The RAM are also working fine on another rig. I doubt it's the CPU because I haven't touched it.

I'm confused but I'm also thinking it may just be the motherboard since any removeable part except the CPU,  I have tested it on another rig and that rig starts up fine.

I have breadboarded it and nothing changes. The CPU fans and Cooler Master 212 connected to the MB aren't running yet the GPU fans are running nonstop. That's what confuses me. I'm not sure if the motherboard is shorted or what not.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You only thing you have not tried is running your MB with another PSU.

Providing this setup has failed, easiest is to take your board, CPU/cooler only installed, place it on the box beside your uncle's rig.

Disconnect power to his CPU/GPU/HDDs.  

Connect to your 24/12 pin MB headers, short the power on pins..

If OK, replace your PSU.

If a fail, without having a a spare MB or CPU for testing, first option would be replacing the board. 

chengthomasvang94

chengthomasvang94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You only thing you have not tried is running your MB with another PSU.

Providing this setup has failed, easiest is to take your board, CPU/cooler only installed, place it on the box beside your uncle's rig.

Disconnect power to his CPU/GPU/HDDs.  

Connect to your 24/12 pin MB headers, short the power on pins..

If OK, replace your PSU.

If a fail, without having a a spare MB or CPU for testing, first option would be replacing the board. 

I have just tried running my MB with another CPU. No luck, same thing is happening. 
My I5 works for my uncle's rig just fine.

All that's left is just changing the MB now huh? 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes, does look like you need a new board, but I would not be satisfied until testing your MB/CPU with a known good PSU, even though
yours powers up another system.