Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FPS Drop/Stuttering

• Please log in to reply

Dedthredz187

Dedthredz187

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all!

I currently have

- 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5-4670K Quad Core Haswell
- 16GB DDR3 RAM
- AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB
- GIGABYTE Z97-HD3 LGA 1150

Which is a definite upgrade from my previous machine that was

- 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5-665K
- 12 GB DDR3 RAM
- GIGABYTE Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
- ASUS Maximus III GENE

Anyway, I was finding that on my old machine my games ran fairly smooth using the recommended settings and now with the new PC I am finding that I am having drops in fps and stutter in game. I have the VSYNC turned off and am using the recommended graphics settings the games chose.

Is there anything I can try to make it run better?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

:welcome:     Dedthredz187

With those specs you should not have any problems but can I ask the following couple of questions;

What are the exact Ram details.

What are the PSU brand and model name or number details.

What are your screen brand and model name or number details.

What are your hard drive brand and model name or number details and how much free storage space is available on the drive.

Is it all games or online games.

Dedthredz187

Dedthredz187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All games (Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Remember Me)

PSU is 600w

Corsair 4 x 4GB DDR3 V1.5 1333w

Hard Drive is a Western Digital SATA III
2TB 7200rpm and there is 1.7 TB remaining on the drove.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
What are your screen brand and model name or number details.

What is the brand of the PSU, a quality brand 600W PSU  would be fine but some do not provide the 34 amps on the +12V rail that your video card requires.

The only obvious weakness that I can see is the speed of the Ram as 1600MHz  as a minimum is best for gaming.

Dedthredz187

Dedthredz187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Answered my own question. Opened up the tower and there was a bundle of wires going to the rear fan blocking the CPU Fan from turning. Just glad I caught it early enough without any damage.

"Alright, I fixed the RAM issue. Went to the store and got the required amount. I believe I may have found the issue. I monitored the CPU Temp while in game and it seems I am almost maxing out. Is there any course of action for this?"

Edited by Dedthredz187, 17 September 2014 - 05:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.