Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A lone dead pixel near the upper right of my Asus x450c laptop

dead pixel asus laptop

• Please log in to reply

convergecult

convergecult

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi Geeks to Go!

Whenever I encounter problems on my desktop or laptop, I always turn to you guys. :) It has been awhile though.

I have this ASUS X45OC laptop for a year and 3 mos already. And while I was watching Letters From Iwo Jima yesterday (brilliant movie btw), I noticed a lone dead pixel (a black spot) near the upper right of my laptop screen. I do not know however how long it has been there as I just saw it yesterday. When looking at it at a closer distance and different angles, it actually somehow disappears so I thought it was just a speck of dust. What I did was to clean it using a microfibre cloth in a circular motion but to no avail. So I was convinced that it was a dead pixel. I tried to use jscreenfix and left it for 2 hours but it did not go away.

What bothers me is that, as what I've said, when looking at a closer distance on different angles, you won't notice it and the color of the screen corresponds correctly. However when looking at a distance, it is noticeable (only if you focus on that tiny speck of a dot) if you look though at the whole screen, you'll barely notice it.

My question is, is it normal for a laptop with a year and 3 mos of age to harbor such a problem? And is it really a dead pixel? And if it is, can I do something to fix it? I've read that dead pixels are a common occurrence and replacement is only guaranteed if there are 5 of them. Well, my laptop isn't covered already by the 1 year warranty. But this tiny spot bothers me now as I've noticed it. I really wish I haven't seen it. :( As what they've said, what you don't know won't hurt you. Should I worry about it or just live with it? Lol.

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes does sound to me like a dead pixel, here's some more info about the difference between a dead or stuck pixel. :- http://en.wikipedia....Defective_pixel

this may help :- http://www.digitaltr...x-a-dead-pixel/

but if it doesn't then to be honest there is nothing you can do except live with it,

i've had a brand new unused monitor come with a dead pixel but that was a long time ago and i managed to get it replaced the same day, so they can happen at any time.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 18 September 2014 - 02:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello convergecult,

Have you considered that it may be a speck of dust that is on the inside of the screen.

Try UD Pix free from here

There is no single answer to your question as poor quality control back at the factory can cause even the best of any form of equipment to go wrong prematurely.