Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive making weird surging sounds (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

tammy111

tammy111

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

My hard drive is making crazy sounds. It sounds like the motor is surging over and over. I have started to shut it down at night.

I ordered a new hard drive and was hoping that someone here could guide me as to how to get everything from the messed up one to the new one...so I can get rid of  the old one altogether. I think I can install the new one but it has pins on the end that require a jumper that say slave. I need help with this part too.

I will wait for direction before I start.

thanks guys!!   :)

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I assume that since it has on it the option to be a slave, it is most likely an IDE drive, not a newer SATA drive. Hopefully the new drive is the correct type.

The first thing to do is to download the drive tools from the manufacturer's web page for the new drive. Most likely you will have to burn this as a CD or DVD so that you can boot from it.

What you would need to do is to install the new drive as a slave.

Then boot the drive tool which should have an option to copy all the data from the old drive to the new drive.

Then you would remove the old drive, convert the new drive from a slave to a master drive and be done.

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

i havent opened the new drive from its plastic but it has the pins on the end...but im pretty sure it says sata drive

its late, so ill have to pray the old drive makes it one more day so i can start this adventure

thanks guys

tam

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If the old drive is not the same type as the new drive, you could have an issue unless you also have a SATA controller (if the new drive is a SATA drive).

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

A friend mentioned clonezilla. Would using that get around the issue about having two different types of hard drives?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

The first issue with having two different types of drives is connecting both to your system. If you have a SATA controller and an IDE controller, then you could connect both.

The second issue would be in regards to the system and possible settings/drivers that could cause a problem. It might work to copy the drive, but it might cause system problems. I have not tried it, so I can not say if it would work or not, just that it could be an issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Excuse the interjection folks  :)

tammy111, please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial)  providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

i opened up the computer and I think its the fans for power supply making the sound. ...and yes, i ordered the wrong hard drive. i needed ide not sata....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

As the HDD is the IDE type the computer is possibly 5+ years old so the bearings on the PSU may be starting to wear or the winding beginning to tire, the sounds normally resemble a rumbling, ticking or whining noise though, does your PSU have a label on it with the brand and model name details like the one below, if yes can you make a note of them and post them for us.

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

The pic with the green showing under it is from the side of the power supply box. The other one is from the bottom of the computer. Its a Dell.

Thanks for your continued help!! :-

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140921_112858_resized.jpg
  • 20140921_112925_resized.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the pictures  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the information on the PSU is limited and all that we can tell from it is that it is a DHM model that was used in the Dimension and Optiplex model of computers and that the PSU was manufactured on 03/09/04 some 10+ ago, that in itself  is enough reason for it to start showing it`s age as even good quality brand PSUs made today will often only have a 3 year warranty, are you 100% certain that the noise is coming from the PSU and do you know if your computer is a Dimension or Optiplex, if yes which particular model, this is important as many have different size and shape power supplies so if it needs replacing we need to find the correct one, an example list of Optiplex models here shows how many there are.

Just in case it is not the PSU can you take a listen to the failing hard drive sounds here to see if any are the same or similar to what you are hearing from the computer.

You are welcome btw  :)

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I'm 99% sure its the power supply. I opened the case and it started making the noise I've been hearing. I shined a flashlight into the fan area and the top fan was slowing and speeding up and making sounds. I put my finger on the hard drive when I heard the sound start, but felt no vibration.

I'm also sure its a Dimension computer but not sure about the number that would go with it. I guess I could call Dell tomorrow and give them the serial number and maybe they could tell me.

thanks again

tam

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I'm so stupid.....it says Dimension 8300 right on the front !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks and never mind we all overlook things on occasion  :yes:

Is your PSU the type that does not have an on/off switch on it, example here

tammy111

tammy111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Yes, no switch on the back. The other fan, the one in the green housing...should I replace that one also?