Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multimedia swap from HD to Labtop

• Please log in to reply

Jstampohar

Jstampohar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've removed a Samsung sp1604N hard drive from a computer tower that has, what I beleive to be a kaput motherboard. What I want to do is remove/transfer iTunes music, some 7000 songs, from said hard drive to a seperate labtop, to get the music to my iPhone. To clarify this hard drive has been removed from the tower.

Advertisements

Jstampohar

Jstampohar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sure this has been Q@A many times on these forums. If you haven't the time to reply please direct me to the right thread

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry that you never received a reply to your OP within 3 minutes and felt the need to bump your topic Jstampohar  :(

You can use either a USB docking station like the one here or a USB adapter kit such as the one here both are only examples and I am in no way promoting either brand, both are convenient tools to have as it means that you can have multiple drives that you can connect and disconnect as and when required.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally i second the docking station option (if it's sata drives your working with, other wise your going to need the adaptor kit for ide drives), have one myself that has saved me loads of time when working with pc's.

i'd also recommend getting one with a usb3 connection for best transfer speeds, even if you currently only have usb2 connections on your hardware, also get one that works with larger drives over 2TB if possible.

mine is similar to this but different brand and much older, only has usb 2 and esata connections and think but not 100% sure will only work with drives upto 1TB :- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817707323

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 20 September 2014 - 04:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Samsung sp1604N  is the IDE type btw.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:blush: never checked the hard drive specs or the link specs,

must admit i do like the device options of that all in one docking station you linked to, never seen one with so many different device connections, pity it can't handle the larger drives and is not usb3 capable, does have esata tho so that's good.

transfer speeds are important to me, docking stations are great time savers tho so i'd definitely recommend one to anyone.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 20 September 2014 - 04:53 AM.