Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

some services stop automatically (Solved)

Windows XP Services stop

Best Answer phillpower2 , 04 October 2014 - 05:24 AM

You sometimes need to run SFC 3 or 4 times before all errors are repaired, can you do this please. If running SFC another 3 or so times does not resolve the issue, download and run the Windows... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

kack

kack

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

I have Desktop with Windows XP SP3. I have some issue with tis system. Issue is some services are automatically stops any time between my work like Computer Browser, Server, Workstation,DHCP Client, Themes etc. when i start this services manually it works but after some times it will stop automatically.

Please Help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

Advertisements

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

anyone pls reply......

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello kack,

Apologies for the delay in you receiving a reply  :(

Do you have an XP or an OEM system restore disk for the computer in case you need to do a Repair Installation of the OS.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial).

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Do the following to take an expanded screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

NB: If you have waited for three days or more but not received a reply to your topic please post in the Waiting Room and someone that can help with your particular computer issue will get back to you asap, you will need to include a link to the relevant topic and include in the topic title the type of issue concerned, hardware, malware or OS etc.

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, i have windows XP SP2 installation disk.
I have IBM (Branded) Desktop. Model - ThinkCentre 8123 - LQ4

Attached Thumbnails

• devicemgmt.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update which shows that the HDD partitions look fine.

You have XP Sp3 installed so your Sp2 disk will not have all of the required software/driver/security updates etc, first of all see if you are able to create an XP recovery disk for the present SP3 installation**, how to below;

Boot the computer into Windows.
Click the “Start” button.
Select the "Accessories" folder and then click on the "System Tools" icon.
Open the "Backup" icon by double-clicking on it and choose the "Advanced Mode" tab located near the top of the window.
Double-click the file titled "Automated Recovery Wizard" and open the program.
Place a blank CD into the CD-ROM tray and click the "Next" button to begin the recovery disk creation process.
Once done please check the contents of the disk.
** Computer specs show that it has a burner fitted.

Next;

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation.
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.

When completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

If no improvement please run SFC;

Have your XP disk to hand but not in the drive.

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK 
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP it will simply quit without any message.

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

sorry, for late reply but i completed all this stapes you provided but no improvement

same problem.....

Thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries about the delay as we understand that you have other things to attend to  :thumbsup:

A bit more detailed information would be helpful;

Were you able to create an XP restore disk for the present installation, if yes did you check the contents of the disk as I suggested.

Did Chkdsk /r report any errors and if yes were they also fixed.

Did SFC find any errors, if yes were you asked to insert the disk to repair them.

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

no chkdsk /r is not reported any error

but sfc find some error and ask me to insert CD. I had provide Win XP SP3 CD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

You sometimes need to run SFC 3 or 4 times before all errors are repaired, can you do this please.

If running SFC another 3 or so times does not resolve the issue, download and run the Windows all in one repair tool from here please follow all steps except scanning for malware as that is an area only that only the malware experts can assist you with, I know that Chkdsk /r and SFC have already been done but it is important that they be run again as a part of the all in one repair procedure.

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

I was complete all above repairs you suggested.

And currently system is under observation. Till no problem is detected and hope it will resolved.

Thanks,

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update kack  :thumbsup:

As the computer is now running ok I suggest that you manually create a new system restore point, XP should do this on a daily basis but it will do no harm in making sure that you have done one yourself;

To set up a restore point, follow these steps:

1. Close any programs that are open.
  2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. The System Restore Wizard opens.

Note If the System Restore Wizard does not open, the System Restore feature may be turned off. To turn System Restore on, see the "More Information" section in this article.
  3. Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.
  4. In Restore point description box, type a description for the restore point. Use a description that is easy to understand. If you are creating a restore point before you install specific software or hardware, you could use that information in the description.

Note The date and time are automatically added to your restore point. Therefore, you do not have to use them in your description.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • To finish creating this restore point, click the Create button. The System Restore Wizard notifies you when the restore point is created.
    • To stop creating a restore point and to return to the Welcome to System Restore page, click the Back button.
    • To stop creating a restore point and to exit the System Restore Wizard, click the Cancel button.
  6. When you are finished, click the Close button.

Keep us advised as to how things are going.

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

Thanks for help.....

now services stopping problem is resolved now but another problem is now generated after this i can not install or remove any software it gives me windows installer error. Please find attached snap.

Attached Thumbnails

• inst_Error.JPG

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi,

Now this problem is also resolved. You can mark this post as solved.

Thanks for you help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

How did you resolve the second issue, the information may help someone else in the future.

kack

kack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

2nd problem is resolved by running the bellow 2 commands in CMD

msiexec /unregister

msiexec /regserver

Again  really very thanks for your help to resolved my issue.........